Live Connection between Tableau and Qualtrics | XM Community
Solved

Live Connection between Tableau and Qualtrics

Userlevel 2
Badge +1
hello,

Is there a way I can create a live connection between qualtrics and tableau so that the responses start flowing to my dashboard as and when survey is submitted?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Rahul
icon

Best answer by Emily 11 July 2018, 17:55

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi @Rahul

Please check if this documentation helps:

https://www.qualtrics.com/support/integrations/tableau-integration/
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Thanks you Mohammedali. I have seen this earlier and followed the steps. This doesn't help create a live connection between Qualtrics and Tableau.
As I mentioned in my post, I would like to set up a live connection so that as and when responses are submitted they reflect in the tableau dashboard immediately
Hello, I would also like an answer to this. Qualtrics connections are defaulting to extract only, but I'm more interested in creating a live connection. The link provided does not answer this.
Userlevel 6
Badge +7
Hi @Rahul and @aslatton! This is actually possible to do if you have the version of Tableau called Tableau Server. Note that some users are able to set up Tableau Server using our powershell script. However, since if that doesn’t appear to be working for you, below is how to set-up your Tableau Server manually (not needed for non-Server Tableau customers):

1. We’re essentially going to be walking through the import method listed on Tableau’s website: https://onlinehelp.tableau.com/current/server/en-us/datasource_wdc.htm
2. Download the following .zip file at: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B3XMYUTJznJkWEdLbnpmeHJhN1k
3. Extract the .zip file to your Tableau server machine: e.g. C:\\QualtricsWebDataConnector
4. Open a command prompt and navigate to your Tableau Server installation directory: _cd C:\\Program Files\\Tableau\\Tableau Server\\10.0\\bin_ NOTE: Replace the previous path with the directory where your Tableau Server installation is located.
5. Let's first see what connectors are currently installed by typing: _tabadmin list_webdataconnector --urls_
6. If you don’t see “_qualtrics_wdc.htm_” in the list, then we need to install the Qualtrics Web Data Connector.
7. In the same powershell window, import the web data connector: _Tabadmin import_webdataconnector “C:\\QualtricsWebDataConnector\\qualtrics_wdc.htm” --overwrite_ NOTE: Instead of C:\\QualtricsWebDataConnector, use the directory where you unzipped the files from step #2.
8. You’re done! Now try it out.

If you need further assistance with your setup, I recommend reaching out to our Support Team!
Userlevel 2
Badge +8
Hello-New Tableau integration user. We also need to be able to have a LIVE data connector (not extract) for tableau server. What is the suggested way to have the extract refreshed if using the tableau web data connector. Seems this question has been unanswered for a while.
I've been using the Tableau integration to bring Qualtrics survey responses into Tableau server on an hourly schedule. I believe you can also run refresh extracts every 15 minutes, so not completely live, but pretty close. This has worked well for me in many use cases, but currently I am finding the integration to be very unreliable, only pulling in partial data from Qualtrics. Has anyone else had this issue when using a refresh schedule to pull data from qualtrics into Tableau server?
Userlevel 2
Badge +8
@Sarah_May - Yeah....our connection was spotty and the data wasn't completely live, so we decided to stick with the dashboards which are not ideal and can be cumbersome. We haven't used it recently so I can help with the recent issue. Sorry!
Thanks @AMLS! Can you say more about your set up? I'm curious about the amount of data (# of responses and questions) that you were trying to pull in. I have noticed that my connections seem more reliable when I pull in only a few fields and/or when I have fewer responses in the qualtrics survey. Wondered if others experience something similar.
Userlevel 2
Badge +8
I was pulling in around 40 fields (included questions, embedded data, etc). We had a trial period for the connector and since we couldn't get live data (and one of our users survey data wouldn't pull in accurately) we abandoned exploring the connector.
Did anyone else use the integration? What are the challenges you found?

Even if the reports are updated on a daily basis, it would work for my purpose. BUT...

* Is it worth investing in the cost and man-hours requirements to explore and be trained in Qualtrics-Tableau integration properly?
* Did anyone create live reports on Qualtrics platform?
* How is the Tableau-integration different(there can be no question that Tableau is a far superior visualization/reporting platform but is it worth the learning curve to integrate live (or daily refresh) qualtrics data?

Leave a Reply