Variable labels exported incorrectly | XM Community
Solved

Variable labels exported incorrectly

• 25 April 2018
  • 3 replies

Dear all,

we have a huge problem with exporting data. The problem is that in some instances, variable labels are exported incorrectly. I'm not a 100 percent sure but it seems that Qualtrics is exporting previous labels. For example, in one case we created a question in English that needed to be translated to the target language. But Qualtrics always exports this label in English (as it was one of the previous labels), although this was already translated (and appears correctly in the survey in the translated version). In some cases the label is also exported twice for different variables (probably because that variable was moved and SPSS is using the old label for this one).

This problem occurs with all sorts of data export: SPSS files (datasets and sytax), exporting reports as word, it is even displayed wrongly in the report section. The only instances where I see the correct labels are the survey editor and the actual survey (which is the most important part, of course).

How can we fix this? This is a huge problem for us since we have surveys in multiple languages. Basically, it makes it impossible to compare labels.
icon

Best answer by Emily 3 May 2018, 22:06

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +7
Hi @kiezersonderzoek! This sounds like something you will want to bring up to our support team and they can help get to the bottom of this with you. You can reach out to them by selecting "Contact Support" in the upper-right corner of this page.
Userlevel 6
Badge +5
I don't know if it will fix the problem, but you may want to try exporting the data in the legacy format (blue text in the top of the export box). I have found that in general the legacy format does a better job of exporting correct labels, etc.
I also have this problem regularly.
Qualtrics support gave me this work-around, which helps me:
1. Go to the Translation screen for the survey.
2. Add a language and choose English (not UK).
3. In the translation overview find the question that has the wrong label (Note: That question should have a low percentage of translation as that one option was mistakenly 'translated').
4. Once you are looking at the question you will see red writing telling you that the option was not translated or black writing that means the system translated that option (and the translation is what is showing up in your report).
5. To fix the problem click on the red percentage at the top (to translate the entire question quickly). Do not worry about the quality as you will delete the translation in a later step, but there needs to be enough of a translation to delete in order for the option to become available.
6. Once you have done this for each question that showed a wrong label (if there is more than one you can easily tell by checking if the english translation in the overview shows a 0% next to the question or not), go to the translation overview.
9. Click on Add Language and then unselect the box next to English. It will now give you the option to delete the translation.
10. Delete the translation and close the menu. Now if you go back to your report or if you download your data the labels will be correct.

Leave a Reply