How to set a choice to be exclusive to only another one choice, but not all? | XM Community
Solved

How to set a choice to be exclusive to only another one choice, but not all?

• 14 May 2018
  • 5 replies

Badge +2
Hi,

Thanks for your attention to my question.

I am trying to add a multiple-select question with 5 choices. I would like to add a constraint that, if the user chose A, then he/she cannot choose D simultaneously. I knew setting an option 'make the answer exclusive' can make the answer exclusive to ALL THE OTHER answers. However, I just want two particular answers are exclusive to each other. Besides, all the answers need to be displayed together/at the same time. If anyone can help figure out how I can achieve this?

Thank you!

Cheers,
Sherry
icon

Best answer by TomG 14 May 2018, 18:19

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi @Sherry

If there is only one option which you want to make it exclusive then you can use "exclusive option". Its explained in this documentation:
https://www.qualtrics.com/support/survey-platform/survey-module/editing-questions/formatting-answer-choices/#MakeAnswerExclusive

OR

if you want user should either select one of the two from 5 options then you will have to use custom validation. Here is the documentation
https://www.qualtrics.com/support/survey-platform/survey-module/editing-questions/validation/#CustomValidation
Userlevel 7
Badge +27
@Sherry,

Assign the two choices you want to be exclusive to one another (A and D) to a Group. Then under Parent Group Options/Selections choose "Single Answer Within Group". Also, under Parent Group Options, select "Hide Group Title".

Hi!
TomG is it possible to make one choice exclusive within a group, but not for all groups in a question, plus have the choices in that first group be multiple?
What I mean is, I have a multiple choice question with 8 choices (A-H like below) that can be divided into 2 groups. In group 1 (A-D) there is one choice that cannot be selected with any of the other 3 in that group (option D), but the other 3 (A-C) can be chosen together (multiple choice). Options in group 2 an be combined with all others within their group and group 1 without restrictions (only obviously that A-C are not selected with D).
So, is there a way to mark option D as exclusive within Group 1, but still be able to choose D AND any option in group 2?
Many thanks!

Group 1
A- can be selected with all, but D
B- can be selected with all, but D
C- can be selected with all, but D
D- cannot be selected with A, B, C, but can be selected with E-H
Group 2
E- can be selected with all
F- can be selected with all
G- can be selected with all
H- can be selected with all

Userlevel 7
Badge +27

@sumikoh,
Groups don't support making a single choice within a group exclusive. You would have to do it with JavaScript or break into two questions (Group 1 and Group 2, where D is exclusive in Group 1).

Ok, TomG . I'll try that, then.
Many thanks for your help!

Leave a Reply