How to add un-editable piped text? | XM Community
Solved

How to add un-editable piped text?

• 11 November 2017
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 4
  • Qualtrics Employee
  • 24 replies
I have a survey where respondents enter costs for this year and we want to display the previous year's values for comparison in the same question. Currently, I've piped that value into the question. However, this allows the respondents to edit that number, which we do not want. How can I display this information in a format that makes sense without making this data editable?
icon

Best answer by AnthonyR 16 November 2017, 22:47

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +5
> @Poppy said:
> I have a survey where respondents enter costs for this year and we want to display the previous year's values for comparison in the same question. Currently, I've piped that value into the question. However, this allows the respondents to edit that number, which we do not want. How can I display this information in a format that makes sense without making this data editable?

Can you show a screenshot of the question? I'm not sure how the piped text is editable. I'm assuming you have those values piped in from embedded data?
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
> @Clint said:
> > @Poppy said:
> > I have a survey where respondents enter costs for this year and we want to display the previous year's values for comparison in the same question. Currently, I've piped that value into the question. However, this allows the respondents to edit that number, which we do not want. How can I display this information in a format that makes sense without making this data editable?
>
> Can you show a screenshot of the question? I'm not sure how the piped text is editable. I'm assuming you have those values piped in from embedded data?

This is the correct answer. In normal circumstances, piped text is not editable at all.
Userlevel 4
@AnthonyR @Clint I actually used default choices with piped text to display the value in the question text box. Is there a better way to do this?
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
@poppy Ahh so you are piping in to a text box. Do you not want to let respondents edit the textbox at all Or just not be able to edit this portion? If that's the case, you may want to consider doing this another way. Unfortunately text added to a text box will always be editable if the text box is still editable. Though the text box can be made not editable with a bit of JavaScript.

Leave a Reply