Generate Survey Data Dictionary and export to Word | XM Community
Solved

Generate Survey Data Dictionary and export to Word

• 15 June 2018
  • 3 replies

Hi,

I'm still new to Qualtrics and testing it for a research project. Is it possible to create a data dictionary in Qualtrics similar to RedCap.
Basically a description of all the field (variable) names, field types, possible values, etc.

I have tried the below export functionality in Qualtrics but this does not generate the data dictionary

!

!

Example of Data Dictionary

!

Thanks,
Jag
icon

Best answer by w.patrick.gale 15 June 2018, 20:34

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +5
As far as I am aware, there really isn't a way to create a data dictionary like this. If you have SPSS, you can export the Syntax File which is similar but still not as detailed as the example you provided.
Userlevel 7
Badge +38
I'm not familiar with RedCap. But there is an SPSS export. If you have access to that program you can
1. go to Data & Analysis
2. select the drop down for Export & Import
3. Export Data
4. In the dialog box change the top selection to SPSS
5. Check download all fields and click Download

When you open the SPSS file, you can look at the variable view rather than data view to see all the information you want (name, type, label, values).

You could then copy and paste the information in your columns from the variable view into an Excel format if that is what you need to work with RedCap.
Userlevel 5
Badge +13
If you know how to parse the survey JSON file (that can be downloaded using Tools / Import/Export /Export Survey), the .qsf file is JSON formatted and contains EVERYTHING about the survey. It is the data dictionary (but you will just have to parse it and format it to meet your needs). This reference helped me when I was trying to do the same thing:
https://gist.github.com/ctesta01/d4255959dace01431fb90618d1e8c241

Leave a Reply