Community Groups are officially here!
We've released Groups, a new feature that enables us to connect community members of similar industries and interests in a shared, private space. You can check out all of the details here, including information about who can join, how to join, and what Groups are currently offered. Please leave your feedback through this Community Groups Feedback Survey.

Record loop order of Loop&Merge question

FovoLab
FovoLab Cardiff Qubie ✭
edited July 13 in Custom Code

Hi everyone,

In my survey I set up 5 Loop&Merge fields, containing 8 images each. My survey logic will display only one Loop&Merge field to each participant. The issue is that I would like to present the 8 images of each Field in random order, but I also need to know the order in which each image is displayed. Unfortunately, Qualtrics does not export this information, is there a way I could access it?

Thanks so much for your help!

Best Answers

• ahmedA
    ahmedA India Wizard ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer

From what I understand, you have set up loop and merge in a way that a person will see 8 images. The 4 other fields are meta data.

If this is the case, then one way to go about it would be, to create an embedded variable which tracks the display order. Create a loop and merge field which is a unique identifier for each image. Something like Field 6 (img1, img2 ...). Add the following JS to the loop and merge question:

Qualtrics.SurveyEngine.addOnReady(function()
    {
        var_name = "${lm://Field/6}" + "_display_order";
        Qualtrics.SurveyEngine.setEmbeddedData(var_name,"${lm://CurrentLoopNumber}");
    });

This will create 8 embedded variables with names (img1_display_order, img2_display_order etc.). Their values will be from 1 to 8 indicating when the order in which they were displayed to the participants.

• ahmedA
    Accepted Answer

Okay. So then you are doing it wrong.

Don't create 5 fields, create 5 blocks. Each containing 8 images of the loop and merge set. But these blocks in a randomizer and select to display only one.

Then run and see, you should get the desired results.

• ahmedA
    edited December 2020 Accepted Answer

Here's a demo you can look at: https://iima.au1.qualtrics.com/jfe/preview/SV_0rBGUxfJtsfN70N?Q_CHL=preview&Q_SurveyVersionID=current

Take it a few times and you'll see what I mean.

And the attached QSF for your reference.

Answers

• FovoLab
    FovoLab Cardiff Qubie ✭

Hi @ahmedA, thank you so much for your reply--I really appreciate it. Unfortunately, what you suggest did not solve my problem, but perhaps it is because I did not explain my issue correctly... I have 5 Fields in my Loop&Merge question. Each of these 5 Fields contains a different list of 8 images. I previously set up a display logic so that each participant will see only one Field-- corresponding to a list.

Following your suggestion, I created an embedded data called 'var_name', added your script to the Loop&Merge question and created Field 6 identifying each variable. However, the 'var_name' column is empty in the export. Any suggestion about why this might be the case would be welcome!

• FovoLab
    FovoLab Cardiff Qubie ✭

@ahmedA your demo works wonderfully! Thank you so much 🙏

• JeanNicod
    JeanNicod Qubie ✭

hello ahmedA !

I am sorry to bring back this topic now, but I would like to create an embedded variable which tracks the display order, so I am trying to do the solution you proposed, but I am new to Qualtrics and I am struggling. Could you detail your solution ?

In particular, what do you mean by "create a loop and merge field" ?

I hope you will see this..

Thanks a lot !