I shared the survey with another person and gave them all permissions, but they can't edit it. | XM Community
Solved

I shared the survey with another person and gave them all permissions, but they can't edit it.

• 15 November 2017
  • 21 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge
I shared the survey with another person and gave them all permissions, but they can't edit it. What's wrong?
icon

Best answer by Goldie 20 December 2017, 00:43

View original

21 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7
Have the person trying to make changes refresh their account by clicking the icon in the top right corner, and clicking "Refresh account"
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
Also - try clicking "details" under "edit" in the permissions... sometimes not all options may be selected even though the "details" button has a check mark next to it!
Userlevel 4
Badge
@AnthonyR They tried that, but it didn't seem to work. It's in their account and it's not grayed out, but when they click on the survey in their project list, nothing seems to happen. 😕
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
@Goldie I ran into this issue a few months ago!

You may not have the permissions to grant this access.

Have you talked to your account admin yet? They should be able to either give you the ability to give those specific permissions or give that person permissions on your behalf.
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
> @Goldie said:
> @AnthonyR They tried that, but it didn't seem to work. It's in their account and it's not grayed out, but when they click on the survey in their project list, nothing seems to happen. :/

It is possible that the user in question doesn't have the necessary permissions to Collaborate inside of Organization. An administrator will need to provide these permissions.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
Check to make sure this person hasn't opened a trial account. We run into this when someone hasn't registered within the Organization Account. Sometimes people have multiple accounts because their institution has enrolled them in an account, they have a trial account, or they’ve accidentally created a sharing account in addition to main Qualtrics account.
Userlevel 4
Badge
I've checked all of their permissions and they don't have a trial account - per all of their settings, they should be able to access the survey. It's strange because the project on their Projects page looks like it should be able to be accessed and they can actually click on the project, but nothing happens when they click it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
@Goldie Hmm, very strange. is this the only study they are having trouble accessing? If so, and it hasn't launched yet, it may be worth creating a copy of the study in question and seeing if the problem persists.
Userlevel 4
Badge
@AnthonyR Good idea - I created a copy of the study and shared it with the same person and the same thing is happening. I don't have this issue sharing the project with other people, but those other people are in my same brand. This is the first person I've shared something with outside of my brand. They definitely have the permission to collaborate and the sharing is working since it shows in their account, so maybe there is an issue outside of Qualtrics that is causing a problem?
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
The only other potential solution I can come up with is there may be a permission setting on your end rather than theirs. If it is a permissions issue, you could probably verify by starting a brand new survey and sharing it to see if the issue is the same. if so, then it's worth having another person look at the permission settings.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
I just had this issue happen to me yesterday with another user account actually - after verifying the user account/permissions were all up to date.

Click on All Folders in the Project page. A side menu should appear. There there will be an All Projects & Shared with Me folders. I'd click on those folders and see if the project is there - try clicking on the projects there (I'd click on both since I don't recall which was actually the folder with the edit-able survey). You should be able to access the survey then.

I may be completely off base here and your issue is different and maybe you've already tried it. But this sounds similar to an issue I had and this was actually the resolution.
Userlevel 2
Badge +10
Have you tried removing and re-adding the problematic user in the sharing pane? Also, is the user able to edit surveys shared with him/her by other people? Can you try sharing the survey with another account and see if that user is able to edit it? These steps would help you narrow the problem down to the user vs the survey.
Userlevel 4
Badge
Thanks for all of the suggestions everyone (@AnthonyR @KatC @VirginiaUKY)

Unfortunately, we haven't yet completely solved the issue though I do have some more information. It looks like the user is able to open it up on their account when they are logged into my computer or another device (though the survey does open in a separate tab...not sure if that is normal).
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
Opening in a separate tab is very strange. but the fact that they can open it on your computer at all tells me that it is likely a compatibility issue (likely browser compatibility). Is this the first survey the person has been involved with? If so, what browser are they trying to use? I know that Internet Explorer in particular has issues. Perhaps, have them try using a different browser(Firefox or Chrome)?
Userlevel 4
Badge
> @AnthonyR said:
> Opening in a separate tab is very strange. but the fact that they can open it on your computer at all tells me that it is likely a compatibility issue (likely browser compatibility). Is this the first survey the person has been involved with? If so, what browser are they trying to use? I know that Internet Explorer in particular has issues. Perhaps, have them try using a different browser(Firefox or Chrome)?

* They have other surveys in their account. However, the only other shared surveys they have are from other users in their brand (I am not).
* We used Chrome to test this on both computers.
Userlevel 1
Badge +3
Hi!
You said, "but those other people are in my same brand. This is the first person I've shared something with outside of my brand."

Do both of you have "Collaborating Outside of your Organization" permissions set by your Brand Admins? Both need to have the permissions turned on.

Marty
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
@Goldie I don't have a good answer for you, but in my experience, when a survey opens in a separate tab, it means that the survey is hosted on a separate server or brand. I've had trouble with accounts that are hosted on different servers. If refreshing the account and checking collaboration settings on both side doesn't help, a call to customer service might be in order.
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
Hi @goldie , When you share outside your brand some elements are not able to be shared such as contact lists and as a result authenticators. The survey flow then cannot be edited effectively by the person you shared the survey with. This does not address the person not being able to see the survey, but it may address problems that could arise if you are successful at sharing the survey.

If you are interested in sharing the survey structure, you can export the survey to a QDF file and then your colleague could import the survey on their end. If you are interested in sharing results, you can create a report that you can share with your colleague. Finally, if you want to control distribution but want them to manage the data (or vise versa), you can authenticate and mail through one survey and send the person through an end of survey element to the survey on the other end. We used our authenticator and distribuition to funnel recipients to a standardized assessment at another institution. You can even keep track of who has finished the survey if you have the remote survey send the survey recipient back to your survey with a finish code (added to URL)

Best of luck,

Rett
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
It sounds like the permission Collaborate Outside of Organization is not enabled for the person with whom you're sharing the survey. Since this person is outside of your Brand, each of you will need Collaborate Outside of Organization enabled. It sounds like your account in your organization has this permission enabled because you are able to share it with him/her; however, since s/he isn't able to open it, it's most likely that this permission has not been enabled on that person's account. This person should contact his/her Brand Admin to enable the Collaborate Outside of Organization permission.
Userlevel 4
Badge
Hi everyone! Since I was still experiencing the problem, I reached out to Qualtrics Support and it turned out that the issue was that the person I shared my survey with actually had their browser's pop-up blocker turned on and it was preventing the survey editor from opening in a new window. When they turned that off, they had no issues opening and editing the survey.

Thanks for all the help and ideas, though!!
We had this issue as well the first time. It helps to set access up in the beginning. All of our execs wanted access to the data. So when we set up the survey, we made sure they had access. The thing we also learned is that we needed to set it up so that they can look and drill down, but not see who exactly said what. That seems to be an issue with our folks. I hope this is helpful.

Leave a Reply