How to cite the recoded variable names in subsequent questions? | XM Community
Solved

How to cite the recoded variable names in subsequent questions?

Hello,

I am designing a survey in which I need to present scenarios to participants based on their gender. For example, when participants choose female in the demographics section, the character in the scenario will be named Amy.

I tried the embedded data function and recoded the variable name in the way "female-Amy" and "male-Bob." However, it only allowed me to cite the variable value (instead of name) from the gender question. How can I make it?

Also, I want to avoid the skip logic function, since it would lead to too much redundant information.

Thank you so much 😀
icon

Best answer by MohammedAli_Rajapkar 10 July 2018, 08:44

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
If you want to avoid using JavaScript then follow the below steps:
- You should have your gender question and where ever you are pipe-in the gender selected choice in a separate block
- Add a branch logic as shown below
- !
- Then use embedded data "Pipein" to pipe in the text.
> @Mohammedali_Rajapakar_Ugam said:
> If you want to avoid using JavaScript then follow the below steps:
> - You should have your gender question and where ever you are pipe-in the gender selected choice in a separate block
> - Add a branch logic as shown below
> - !
> - Then use embedded data "Pipein" to pipe in the text.
>

Thank you! But now the piped text is "female-Amy" instead of "Amy."
I guess my original description was misleading. By "female-Amy," I mean if participants choose female, the piped text will be "Amy."
Userlevel 7
Badge +38
@evans that is an easy fix. On the right side of the Pipein variable definition, just clear the extra information ($ through the space after -) that is in front of "Amy" and "Bob" to leave just their names.

Leave a Reply