How to allow subjects to specify their own group names in the 'pick, group, rank' question type? | XM Community
Solved

How to allow subjects to specify their own group names in the 'pick, group, rank' question type?

Hi All!

I'm using the 'pick, group, rank' question type, where subjects are clicking and dragging images into different groups. I'd like for them to be able to specify their own names for the group titles. For the text in the 'items' section, I see an option to 'allow text entry', but this is not allowed for the titles of the groups.

Nevertheless, the group titles do allow for piped text. So on a separate page before the 'pick, group, rank' task, I made a set of multiple choice questions with manual text entry, so people can type in group names, and this is piped into the group title grid. However, I would really like these multiple choice questions to be on the same page as the 'pick, group, rank' task, because I want participants to be able to define their own groups in real time. Right now, I only seem to be able to get the piped text to work if the text is inputted on a separate page, because these answers need to be 'submitted' before they can be piped.

So what I'd love help with are the following: (1) does anyone know of a way to allow subjects to insert text into questions and have the system automatically pipe the results into a display on the same page, in real time? and (2) in general, does anyone have a method in mind for how subjects can manually specify the titles of the groups while they are doing the 'pick, group, rank' task?

Thanks so much!
icon

Best answer by mattyb513 11 July 2018, 14:48

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +6
1) You need to use JavaScript for this to be possible
2) Your current process would be the recommend method (using piped text from a previous page).

Regarding the JavaScript, it's relatively easy. Here's a gist to help you out: https://gist.github.com/mattbloomfield/e45da612305ea62ff88dc336f151436f

Working Example: https://qualtricssfi.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/preview/SV_cwG5loHkXyAUbv7?Q_SurveyVersionID=current&Q_CHL=preview
@mattyb513 Thank you for the helpful answer!

I've attempted to implement, and it's not working on my end. I've incorporated the javascript you provided, and I changed the QID, etc, to match my specific questions.

I noticed in your demo survey that your questions did not have check boxes next to them. I've only been able to get the text piping to work with multiquestion check boxes with text entry, and still I've only been able to get it to work if the questions are in a separate block. Is there an important difference here I am missing?

I was wondering if you'd be willing to give me access to the build of the survey you provided (i.e. the edit survey page). That would be very helpful. I noticed the 2nd page of the survey you provided mentioned something about embedded data. Are there steps beyond adding the javascript and question to the page that I am missing?

Thanks again.
Userlevel 6
Badge +6
Sorry, that survey shows both ways of doing it. The first one is what you are looking for. I've attached the qsf. You can import it to your account and have at it.

I'm using a Form Text Entry question, not a multiple choice.
Excellent, thank you!
Userlevel 2
Badge +5

@dguilb , @mattyb513 , I know this is an older post but still relevant to me as I’m facing the same issue. Any chance one of you would post the .qsf used? Thanks!

Leave a Reply