Custom validation, any combination of n strings | XM Community
Solved

Custom validation, any combination of n strings

• 19 July 2018
  • 7 replies

Hi there,

I am new to the platform and I apologize if the question is easy or a repeat. I was hoping I can get help with my custom validation quest. What I would like to do is make sure that a text entry response is within any combination of couple of strings. I tried the 'Match regex' option but was unable to do what I want. I tried adding javascript code but got lost with using the API. I hope someone can provide some guidance. Thanks in advance!
icon

Best answer by TomG 20 July 2018, 01:41

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +27
> @Clare said:
>What I would like to do is make sure that a text entry response is within any combination of couple of strings.

Can you more specific than your statement above?
Userlevel 6
Badge +6
It would also help if you mentioned your familiarity with JavaScript and Regex.
Hi TomG,

Thanks for your response. I intend to give participants couple of worlds with which they would have to build a sentence/response. I would like to accept as a valid response any combination of these words, as long as only these words are used to compose a response, and all of them are spelled correctly. Ideally, I would like to make sure no numbers, punctuation or any other symbol is included in the response. For instance, if I provide participants with the words:

I
love
hate
swimming
is
what
better

A valid response would be "I like swimming better", "what I like is swimming" etc.

I hope this clarifies it a bit.

Here is an update on my progress: Using the javascript add-on functionality, I was able to capture the response and figure out whether it is a combination of the words provided. I am unable to print out a Qualtrics error message though. In addition, qualtrics still submits the response as valid and continues on to the next question. I would like to give people the option of re-typing a response. I would use some help on dealing with this part.

Thanks in advance!
Hi Mattyb513,

I am don't have prior experience with JavaScript but have worked with other programming languages. It is important to mention that my skills in web development are non existent. I have some experience with Regex, primarily with java and python. I hope that helps.
Userlevel 7
Badge +27
@Clare,

First, you want to start your JavaScript by disabling and/or hiding the Next button. Then, when you know you have a valid response enable and/or show the Next button.

For a validation error message, I generally just update the html of the element Qualtrics uses for its validation errors (class of ValidationError).

You probably want to use a 'blur' handler on the input field to check the input then take appropriate action...show the validation error or enable/show the Next button.
Userlevel 6
Badge +6
Tom is right on the money.

Here's a working example I spun up real quick: https://qualtricssfi.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/preview/SV_80RXr3Vax0mgHkh?Q_SurveyVersionID=current&Q_CHL=preview

Attached is the qsf. I've also made a gist that removes all the extra JavaScript made for pulling the answers from the previous page: https://gist.github.com/mattbloomfield/4fd526d58cd336210a0b623f7017ebb0
Hi Mattyb513,

Thank you so much for your help! You saved me so much time and effort!

Leave a Reply