How do I make codes mutually exclusive across 2 multi response questions? | XM Community
Solved

How do I make codes mutually exclusive across 2 multi response questions?

• 23 July 2018
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Hi team,

My client asked me to set up a multi response question in 3 columns and add a ‘Prefer not to answer’ and ‘None of these’ separately to the question. So I set up 2 multi response questions, one with the brands and the other with ‘Prefer not to answer’ and ‘None of these’. I have also set up a validation so that you can only select one or more brands OR ‘Prefer not to answer’ OR ‘None of these’. Please see screenshot below.

Now I wondered whether there is a way to un-select the selected brands if ‘Prefer not to answer’ OR ‘None of these’ is selected. Or un-select ‘Prefer not to answer’ and ‘None of these’ if a brand is selected so that they become mutually exclusive. Essentially they should behave like a normal multi response question where ‘Prefer not to answer’ and ‘None of these’ are set up as ‘make answer exclusive’.

!

It would be great if you could have a look into this.

Thank you so much!
Kai
icon

Best answer by TomG 24 July 2018, 02:30

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +38
@Kai any idea why your client is forcing you to set up Prefer not to answer and None of these in this manner? You are going to have to do some back end manipulation to get them to report in the same variable as well as losing out on the 'make answer exclusive' feature built into Qualtrics that would achieve what you are trying to do.

If it's a visualization issue, then I would think that maybe making groups would help you with that. I would also consider what this looks like on mobile. I think your screen shot would be for larger devices and wonder how it formats on phones so if their request is really worth it or if they can be talked into the advantage of just programming it "normally."
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Hi,

Thank you for your response. The mobile consideration is a good one. I will raise this with the client.

I wondered however if there is another way of making them exclusive with javascript?

Thanks,
Kai
Userlevel 7
Badge +27
> @Kai said:
>
> I wondered however if there is another way of making them exclusive with javascript?

Yes, you could do this with JavaScript:
1. Script on first question would unselect choices in second question if any choices are selected
2. Script in second question would do two things. First, remove question separator and white space from top of question. Second, unselect choices in first question if any choices are selected
3. A custom validation rule would check that at least 1 choice is selected in either the first or second question.

Leave a Reply