Embedded data and Personalized links | XM Community
Solved

Embedded data and Personalized links

• 13 August 2018
  • 7 replies

Hello Q community:

I have two questions in regard to personalized links and embedded data. I would appreciate your help.

(1) I would like to use personalized links so that I can track who did or did not complete the survey and send reminders if necessary. Do I need to re-upload the contact list when the system generates personalized links? The system generates a cvc file which automatically loads on my computer. The file contains the contact info that I originally uploaded but also personalized links.

(2) What's the difference between embedded data and link type (see tracking replies with link type: https://www.qualtrics.com/support/survey-platform/distributions-module/email-distribution/emails-overview/). The explanation states "the respondent’s name, email, and other information from the contact list is automatically saved with their survey data." I was going to use an embedded data feature (e.g., demographic info of survey respondents that I included in the contact list spreadsheet) but then came across the link type feature.

@TomG @bstrahin
icon

Best answer by TomG 13 August 2018, 20:32

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +27
(1) You don't need to re-upload contacts when you generate personal links. Those links are for you to distribute to your respondents. They are just like the links that would be included in an email invite. You lose the ability to do automatic reminders like you have with email invites. You'll have to re-download the personal links and remove those who have completed before re-distributing again.

(2) Qualtrics has a few contact fields that are always included in your response data (unless you anonymize your survey) - First name, Last name, Email, and External Reference ID. All other respondent specific fields are embedded data. You have to add embedded data fields to your survey flow for them to be included in the response data. Both types of fields are unrelated to link type. Link type specifies if the respondent can take the survey more that once (individual, multiple) or if it is associated with contact list data at all (anonymous).
@TomG Thank you for your prompt and helpful response. One thing to clarify: does not the system send reminders only to those from the mailing list who have not completed the survey? If yes, then the last part of your response #1 is a bit unclear to me.
Userlevel 7
Badge +27
@SKOV,

Yes, if you send email invites, then Qualtrics sends reminders only to those from the mailing list who have not completed the survey. However, if you instead create personal links that you distribute yourself, then it is up to you to do your own reminders.
@TomG Do people use the personal links feature if they want to distribute the survey themselves rather than have Qualtrics do that? I thought that the personal link feature is used when one does not want to use an anonymous link and wants to send each respondent their individual link but I guess I was wrong: https://www.qualtrics.com/support/survey-platform/distributions-module/email-distribution/personal-links/
Userlevel 7
Badge +27
Yes, personal links are generally used if you want to distribute the links yourself instead of through the Qualtrics emailer.

By default, the Qualtrics emailer sends a personal link for each person. That is how it associates contact information and embedded data with a response.
Qualtrics community, how can one create mailing lists on the basis of contacts directory? For example, I am going to upload 200 contacts to my contacts directory with embedded data (gender, city, etc.) I want to create a mailing list consisting of people from a particular city. I will use this list to send a survey to people from the specific city. @TomG any ideas?
Userlevel 7
Badge +27
Create a mailing list sample, then distribute to the sample.

Leave a Reply