Can I set a time limit for a survey? | XM Community
Solved

Can I set a time limit for a survey?

• 27 April 2018
  • 5 replies

What I mean is... I need to put a 30 minute time limit on a survey. Participants will only get 30 minutes to complete the survey. Can this be done? If so, where do I find the info? Thank you, Karen
icon

Best answer by Rich_Boits_Walker 30 April 2018, 07:32

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi @Beth,

I am sure there is a way to do such type of setup. Since the Qualtrics certification exam is also based on a time limit (60 / 75 minutes) however, I am not sure if they did it through JavaScript or through any existing feature of Qualtrics.

It will be great if you can call Qualtrics support and check it.

below are the different channels through which you can contact them.
https://www.qualtrics.com/support-center/?Product=survey-platform
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
I found a really good support page for this out there. It's at the question level, but the timing question can be hidden and used to auto-advance the respondent. From there you would set an embedded data in your survey flow using Q_TotalDuration and branch them to an End of Survey message if you wanted.

https://qualtrics.com/support/survey-platform/survey-module/editing-questions/question-types-guide/advanced/timing/
Hi Karen,
Were you able to put a time limit on your survey? I have the same question and have not been able to find a way to time out the survey. I contacted support, but they said I had to pay to have it done, and I'm just a student.
Thanks!
Hi All,
I have found a workaround for this. It is a little clunky, but it works if you separate all your questions into individual blocks. Here are the steps:

1. Set up each question as its own block.
2. In Survey Flow, before the first question block (underneath your instructions or other information) add an embed block, and put in Q_TotalDuration.
3. Then you can add a branch after each question block. In my branch I tell the survey to branch if Q_TotalDuration is greater than or equal to 1200. The time is in seconds (20 minutes).
4. Under the branch I add the end survey block.

What will happen is when they click the arrow to go to the next page, it will check the time. If it is greater than or equal to my limit, it goes to the end survey page. It will not stop the survey in the middle of a question. So, if you add timing to each block, you will be able to see whether or not they completed the last question within the time limit. As I said, it is clunky, but it is a workaround until Qualtrics gives up the option of a time limit. If you need more help with setting this up, just let me know.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2

hi Rich_Boits_Walker and kc71 , this solution using Q_TotalDuration and branch logic seems to work well enough. One difficulty remains though, which is that it will not stop a respondent in the middle of a question and end the survey when duration exceeds a specified time. Do you know how to achieve that? thanks!

Leave a Reply