How do you restrict the number of times an audio clip is played? | XM Community
Solved

How do you restrict the number of times an audio clip is played?

• 30 November 2020
  • 25 replies

Hi everyone! I'm trying to restrict the number of times (up to 6 times) people can listen to an audio clip within my survey. Additionally, I would like to track the number of times that same audio clip is played (i.e. 1-6 times). I've been browsing the online community for help, but can't seem to get the code to work properly in my survey. This is my first time using Qualtrics, so if anyone could provide any guidance at all, it would be very much appreciated!

icon

Best answer by AHammell 7 December 2020, 23:14

View original

25 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +10

I may have something cooked up, but a couple of questions first:

• Do you need folks to be able to pause the audio?

• Do you need folks to be able to control any other parts of the audio file in any way (e.g. scrubbing and/or volume control)?

AHammell Hi! Thanks for your response! Ideally, participants will be able to click the "play" button on the audio clip; however, they won't be able to press that button again once it's played once. Pausing/other control features wouldn't be necessary :)

Userlevel 2
Badge +10

Audio_Count_w_Javascript.qsf

Userlevel 2
Badge +10

asimm123 ; Alright, so I just attached a QSF file above, which you can download and import if you would like to see how exactly I implemented the following survey: https://umn.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_bpcbr5HysOKGQfP
There are 3 components to making this work: 1) embedded data fields, 2) corresponding question HTML and 3) corresponding JavaScript.
For #1) Be sure to add two embedded data fields to the very top of your survey flow. In my example, I did "play_count" to help track the number of times the video was played and "pageload_count" to help track the number of times the page was load (this tracks whether or not the page was refreshed). The value of these fields will be modified with the corresponding JavaScript. Have "play_count" be set to "value will be set from Panel or URL." and have "pageload_count" be set to 0.
Screen Shot 2020-12-06 at 6.40.08 PM.pngFor #2) Go into the "HTML" view for your audio question and add the following HTML code:

Screen Shot 2020-12-06 at 6.50.41 PM.pngThe only thing you need to change here is the URL between the quotes after "src"-- change it to the URL of whatever audio that you have. (Note: If you're not sure what the URL is, you can upload your audio within Qualtrics "rich content editor" within the question. After you upload the audio, go to the question's "HTML View", and the URL for your audio file should be within the HTML, much like my code above).

For #3) Click on gear icon to the left of your audio question, then "Add JavaScript...", which will pop open the JavaScript window. This will be the JavaScript that you will need add to your audio question:
Qualtrics.SurveyEngine.addOnload(function()
{
//create variable to track play count
var playcount = 0; 
//create variable to track page refresh count 
var refreshcount = 0;
//Get audio element
//name "audiofile1" this whatever you name your audio element ID is within your HTML 
var audio = document.getElementById("audiofile1"); 
audio.volume = 1; //set audio volume to 1

// CREATE playAudio() FUNCTION
function playAudio() {
  playcount++; //increase playcount number by 1
  console.log(playcount); 
  var button = document.getElementById("audiobutton"); //grab button id
  button.style.visibility = "hidden"; //hide the button so that it can't be played anymore
  audio.play(); //play the audio one last time 
   //update play_count embedded data to current playcount number 
  Qualtrics.SurveyEngine.setEmbeddedData("play_count", playcount); 
};

audio.onended = function() {
if (playcount < 6){
button.style.visibility = "visible"; //show button again
}
}; 

// TRIGGER playAudio() function on button press (note that the HTML element id for the button is called "audiobutton"
jQuery("#audiobutton").on("click", playAudio);

// TRACKING PAGE REFRESH
// NOTE: "playcount" variable refreshs to 0 if a respondent refreshes the page
// WARNING: The three lines below will not work properly if this JavaScript is on the first page of the survey

// Pull number in pageload (default within embedded data element should be set to 0)
var pageload = Qualtrics.SurveyEngine.getEmbeddedData('pageload_count');
pageload = parseInt(pageload)+1; 
//save updated reload value to 'refresh_count' embedded data
Qualtrics.SurveyEngine.setEmbeddedData('pageload_count', pageload);

});
I have added comments in the JS code so that you can see what each line does. The JS code does a number of things:
  • Tracks the number of times that the respondent plays the video (note, this number resets if the respondent reloads the page); this number will be saved within an embedded data field so that you can export it with the rest of your data

• Tracks the number of times that a respondent loads the page (anything greater than 1 indicates that they reloaded the page: 2 = they reloaded the page once, 3 = they reloaded the page twice, etc.); this number will be saved within an embedded data field so that you can export it with the rest of your data

• Hides the "play audio" button while the audio is playing

• Makes the "play audio" button reappear once the audio is done playing UNLESS the audio has been played 6 times

Again, feel free to download and import the QSF file I attached in the comment above to see how I implemented this survey. If you have any further questions or would like clarification on anything, let me know! :)

AHammell Thank you so much! This was super helpful 🙂 If I have another question where I would like the participant to only be able to listen to the audio clip once, is there a way to modify this code to do that?

Userlevel 2
Badge +10

Absolutely! All you need to do is delete the following code from the JavaScript (i.e. the code that makes the play button reappear):
if (playcount < 6){
}
};
Alternatively, if you would like to change the max play count to any number other than 6, you can just replace the 6 in the JavaScript code chunk above to whatever number you would like the max play count to be.
Example if I wanted the max play count to be 10:
if (playcount < 10){
}
};

AHammell Thanks so much! I put your suggested code into the javascript, but for some reason, the audio clip seems to play on a loop once the "play" button is pressed. Do you have any idea where I could have gone wrong?

Userlevel 2
Badge +10

asimm123 Hm. Can you copy and paste your exact JavaScript and the "HTML View" code into here? That'll help me troubleshoot.

AHammell I'm not quite sure how to embed my JavaScript into the discussion like you did, and for some reason Qualtrics is blocking my copy/paste of my code.
HMTL View:
9. Remember to listen carefully and make sure that your computer volume is on, as you will only be able to listen to the clip once. 

">https://umich.qualtrics.com/CP/File.php?F=F_0uYH2HYrjamicNn">
src="https://umich.qualtrics.com/CP/File.php?F=F_0uYH2HYrjamicNn" type="audio/mp3">https://umich.qualtrics.com/CP/File.php?F=F_0uYH2HYrjamicNn&width=320&height=20&type=mp3&autostart=false" height="20" pluginspage="http://adobe.com/flashplayer/"

javascript.png
I really appreciate your help and fast responses; this is my first time using Qualtrics/coding, so your feedback has been very informative :)

Userlevel 2
Badge +10

asimm123 You have some extra stuff in your HTML that you don't need need. The HTML View for your question should only contain the following:
Remember to listen carefully and make sure that your computer volume is on, as you will only be able to listen to the clip once. 

In terms of the JavaScript, you'll want to be sure to add all of the JavaScript code that I included above.

(P.S. To embed code, use 3 " ` " symbols in a row and press "enter" 🙂 )

Hello AHammell! Thank you very much for this helpful information. I'm wondering how to adjust the script you've provided if each of my questions has TWO audio files in it. Moreover, my audio files are in multiple choice answers, so I'm not sure if there is a way to edit the HTML of those answer choices. Grateful for your assistance!
Morgan

Userlevel 2
Badge +10

asimm123 So sorry I missed this response! Did you get it figured out?
morganpatrick803 To clarify, are you saying that you will have two audio files within the same question, and each are tied to multiple choice response options?

Badge +1

Hi AHammell! Thanks so much for providing all this coding!!! Unfortunately the HTML code is not working for me anymore. It used to work when I uploaded my audio files through the "rich content editor", but I don't seem to be able to do that anymore, and inserting an URL from a SoundCloud or Google drive audio file into the

tag you provided is not working at the moment. The button is there, but the audio isn't playing. Do you know what I could be getting wrong?
Thanks a lot!
Chiara

Userlevel 2
Badge +10

Hi Chiara_A, could you show the HTML that you are using?

Badge +1

Hi AHammell, thanks for your reply and apologies for getting back to you so late. In the end I've avoided the issue by using Qualtrics Media Library, so everything looks good on that front.
The codes you've kindly provided in this thread work fine. The only problem is that, although the 'Play' button disappears once the audio has been played the allowed amount of times (in my case, once), one can still re-play the audio by clicking on the empty area where the 'Play' button used to be. In other words, the button is hidden but that doesn't necessarily prevent people from playing the audio. Is this normal, or is it just an issue with the Preview mode?
Is there a way to make sure the playing function is fully disallowed/deactivated after an audio has been played a given amount of times?
Thanks for your help!

Userlevel 2
Badge +10

I would add the following into your JavaScript:
if (playcount < 6){
} else {
button.style.display = "none";
}
}; 
The additional "else" statement will get rid of the play button when "playcount" is greater than your specified number.

Let me know if that works for you!

Badge +1

Hi AHammell, thanks so much for your reply, which I've just seen (clearly I must have missed the notification)!
I've added the new bit of coding but it doesn't seem to make any difference. The audio button disappears when it's supposed to, but this was already the case. The problem is that, even though the button is no longer there, you can still play the audio by clicking on the space where the button used to be.
Do you know if there is a way to work around this? Perhaps by deactivating controls/mouse movements after a given audio has been played a certain number of times?
I have no idea whether this is possible at all but I'm trying to think outside the box :-)
Thanks so much for your help!
Chiara

Userlevel 2
Badge +10

I don't have the time to fully test myself, but here are some things for you to try. Go ahead and try this first:
if (playcount < 6){
} else {
button.style.visibility = "hidden";
button.style.display = "none";
}
};
If that doesn't work, then go ahead and try this instead:
if (playcount < 6){
} else {
button.parentNode.removeChild(button);
}
};
Let me know if either of these works (or doesn't)!

Badge +1

Thanks so much! I've just tried both but unfortunately neither of them works. Let me know if you can think of anything else :-)

Userlevel 2
Badge +10

Can you send me the entirety of your JavaScript and HTML? I'm wondering if there's something amiss elsewhere.

Badge +1

Sure! Thanks so much! :-)

{
//create variable to track play count
var playcount = 0; 
//create variable to track page refresh count 
var refreshcount = 0;
//Get audio element
//name "audiofile" this whatever you name your audio element ID is within your HTML 
var audio = document.getElementById("audiofile1"); 
audio.volume = 1; //set audio volume to 1

// CREATE playAudio() FUNCTION
function playAudio() {
 playcount++; //increase playcount number by 1
 console.log(playcount); 
 var button = document.getElementById("audiobutton1"); //grab button id
 button.style.visibility = "hidden"; //hide the button so that it can't be played anymore
 audio.play(); //play the audio one last time 
 Qualtrics.SurveyEngine.setEmbeddedData("play_count", playcount); 
};

if (playcount < 1){
var button = document.getElementById("audiobutton1"); //grab button id
}
}; 

// TRIGGER playAudio() function on button press (note that the HTML element id for the button is called "audiobutton"
jQuery("#audiobutton1").on("click", playAudio);

// TRACKING PAGE REFRESH
// NOTE: "playcount" variable refreshs to 0 if a respondent refreshes the page
// WARNING: The three lines below will not work properly if this JavaScript is on the first page of the survey

// Pull number in pageload (default within embedded data element should be set to 0)
var pageload = Qualtrics.SurveyEngine.getEmbeddedData('pageload_count');
pageload = parseInt(pageload)+1; 
//save updated reload value to 'refresh_count' embedded data
Qualtrics.SurveyEngine.setEmbeddedData('pageload_count', pageload);
});

">https://qmulhss.eu.qualtrics.com/CP/File.php?F=F_4McKRS9A2h9fDp4"> 

Badge +1

Hi AHammell,
I have used the code you distributed here to play an audio file only once and everything worked out well on individual cases. However, if I line up more than one question containing an audio file, only the first one gets played.
I have built a block composed of 8 questions. Participants should be able to play the audio file once, then they should provide an answer, then they should move on to the page where there is a new question. Ideally, the questions should be randomized.
I thought the way in which the code is written would set the playcount value to 0 every time the script is called, and so I cannot figure out what is going wrong. The first file gets played without any issues. Starting from the second file, the audio is not even allowed to play, but the "Play Audio" button is still visible.
In case this is helpful: I copy pasted the code that you suggested (removing the lines that allow files to be played up to N times) and the code for the HTML view for the audio files.
Thanks a lot for sharing the code!
Giorgia

Userlevel 2
Badge +10

Chiara_A Apologies for the late reply. I looked at your code in Qualtrics, and it is working appropriately for me. See here: https://umn.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_1BJa96GMJRz3ghg
I've attached the QSF file for the linked project so that you can import it yourself and see how it is implemented in this survey.
TestAudio.qsfDo you have any other JavaScript that you're using in your survey that could be interfering?

Userlevel 2
Badge +10

gtroiani Good question! You'll want to update the id name of each of the buttons and audio files that you are using, as well as the JavaScript. So, for example, in the HTML for each question I would put:
For question 1:

For question 2:

THEN, anything in your JavaScript that refers to "audiobutton#" or "audiofile#", you'll want to switch to the appropriate button id and audio id. For example, in some of the JS code, you would switch "audiobutton1" to "audiobutton2" for question2.
ADDITIONALLY, you'll want to modify some of the JS variable and function names so that they are exclusive to each question; this is so that code in one question does not interfere with other questions. So, for example, instead of "function playAudio()", you'll want to call them "function playAudio1()", "function playAudio2()", etc. for each question. And you'll want to call your playcount and audio variables playcount# and audio# instead.

{

//create variable to track play count of Question 2

var playcount2 = 0; 

//Get audio element

var audio2 = document.getElementById("audiofile2"); 

audio2.volume = 1; //set audio volume to 1

// CREATE playAudio2() FUNCTION

function playAudio2() {

playcount2++; //increase playcount number by 1

console.log(playcount2); 

var button2 = document.getElementById("audiobutton2"); //grab button id

button2.style.visibility = "hidden"; //hide the button so that it can't be played anymore

audio2.play(); //play the audio one last time 

Qualtrics.SurveyEngine.setEmbeddedData("play_count2", playcount2); 

};

audio2.onended = function() {

if (playcount2 < 5){

var button2 = document.getElementById("audiobutton2"); //grab button id

button2.style.visibility = "visible"; //show button again

}

}; 

// TRIGGER playAudio2() function on button press (note that the HTML element id for the button is called "audiobutton"

jQuery("#audiobutton2").on("click", playAudio2);

)};
Note that there's definitely a slicker way to implement the JS for multiple audio files/buttons in a way that doesn't involve this level of modification for the JS code for each question. However, I don't have time to write and test that at the present moment, apologies.
Hoping this will help! Let me know.

Badge +1

https://community.qualtrics.com/XMcommunity/discussion/comment/47037#Comment_47037Thanks for the quick reply. I have implemented changed the HTML for each question and the labeling in the JavaScript for "audiofile#" and "audiobutton#" and everything is working perfectly.
It seems that I did not need to change the JS variables' names for it to work. I'll test this out and update the answer here in case I have to modify that as well.
Thanks again for the help AHammell!

Leave a Reply