Best way to add ED to a now closed survey | XM Community
Solved

Best way to add ED to a now closed survey

• 2 July 2018
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +5
Hi,

I have about 10 embedded data fields that I want to append to the existing Qualtrics data for a closed survey. Normally I would just copy the survey, export the data, then import it with the added fields, but I have already made numerous online reports for the project that would need to be redone if I copy the survey. When I try importing the ED into the existing data, Qualtrics keeps skipping the Response_ID field and is importing the data as new responses rather than appending it to the existing respondents. Does anyone know of a way to get this to work?

Thanks in advance!
icon

Best answer by uhrxx005 3 July 2018, 18:26

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +38
@uhrxx005, assuming you used a Contact List to send your survey, you can
1. Go to your Contact List and download the file
2. Append the additional variables to each record
3. Save as .csv (comma delimited)
4. Import that file back into your Contact List

That will add the additional fields to the existing records because there is a unique Recipient ID. Then you should be able to add these variables into your Survey Flow and they should pull into the analysis.
Userlevel 6
Badge +5
@bstrahin. I tried this yesterday and was unable to get this to update the survey responses. I called Qualtrics about it and they told me this wouldn't work.

When I tried this I I did it slightly differently just so I could test it out. I added the new fields as ED in the survey flow, then manually added them to one contact on my list and then re indexed the survey responses. It did not include the new ED in the participants existing response. Am I doing something wrong?
Userlevel 7
Badge +38
Hmm. It's been awhile since I added ED after the fact, so maybe this is a feature that has changed in Qualtrics since I last did it.

I am wondering with that test case if you can find their record in the completes and click on the option to Retake Survey Response.

A few things I can think to double check first:
* That the embedded data did upload correctly to the recipient in the contact list
* That there aren't accidental typos between ED variable names in the survey flow and contact list
* If the data and analysis tab recognized your ED variables at all as options for columns to show

If necessary, hopefully retaking the response would refresh the connection between the contact list, ED in the survey flow, and ED in data and analysis. This could be very annoying if you have a lot of surveys since you need to click on the link and then resubmit the survey (so I would remove as many page breaks as you can before hand).

If this is too cumbersome and there is some logic to your embedded data you may be able to use the edit multiple feature: https://www.qualtrics.com/support/survey-platform/data-and-analysis-module/data/response-editing/
Userlevel 6
Badge +5
I think Qualtrics must have updated how this works. What you are instructing me to do is what Qualtrics advised over the phone, but we were not able to get it to work. Qualtrics emailed me later and said that the only way to add this data would be to manually edit responses. I have a dozen variables to add and about 3,000 responses to add them to so that isn't a practical solution. Was hoping someone had a clever workaround on here, but it sounds like Qualtrics has removed this functionality which is a shame. Thank you for the response @bstrahin
Userlevel 7
Badge +38
Sorry to hear this. Thanks for bringing it to our attention. It's good to be aware of.
Userlevel 6
Badge +5
I am going to try this again with importing the new ED into the contact list instead of manually adding it. I don't think it will make a difference, but it seems like it is worth trying.
Userlevel 6
Badge +5
I spoke with Qualtrics again. They confirmed that this functionality does not exist anymore. Additionally, retaking the response does not seem to update the ED either. It's a shame. I don't know why they would remove practical functionality like this.
Badge
Did you figure anything out? I'm in a similar situation.

However, when I copy and upload data my reporting looks like it transfers over. My text categorization didn't but I haven't tried to troubleshoot yet (I think it ignored those fields on default). Am I missing other issues that will occur with a copy / upload approach? Thanks!
Userlevel 6
Badge +5
Hi @adrienne, I never found a solution. I ended up copying the survey, adding ED to the copy and then importing my data. Fortunately my reports did all transfer. I assumed they weren't going to transfer propertly because I had experienced issues in the past but those appear to be resolved.

You just have to be really careful and patient with copying and uploading. I have found that legacy exports and imports are much easier to use if you haven't made any data edits.

Leave a Reply