Community Connect: Improving Response Rates | Live Webinar | XM Community

Community Connect: Improving Response Rates | Live Webinar

Community Connect: Improving Response Rates | Live Webinar
Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Looking to improve response rates and response quality? Join us for our next free Community Connect webinar! Wherever you are in the world, we have an event for your time zone, and in your language 🌐 Click on the registration link below to join us!

What will be discussed?

During the 30-minute breakout sessions, a Qualtrics employee will moderate a group discussion about the following questions:

1. When was a time your response rate was higher or lower than you expected?
  2. How do you establish your target response rate?
  3. How do you balance survey length and response quality?
  4. How do you adjust your expectations and methodology for different survey audiences?
  5. What tips and tricks have you found increase response rates?
  6. What is your experience with incentives and motivation? What has worked and what hasn’t?

What is a Community Connect event?

Community Connect events are 45 minute-long, virtual meetups designed for Qualtrics users to collaborate, share ideas, and discuss challenges and solutions. During the event, attendees will have the opportunity to join breakout rooms to connect with their peers and share their insights. In other words, this is a collaborative event with the purpose of helping one another and building a network of peer support. Topics will rotate throughout the year. In our June events, we will be discussing improving response rates. Reviewing the discussion questions prior to the event is strongly recommended.

What can I expect from joining this event?

You can expect a few minutes of introduction, followed by open-forum breakout rooms where you and other XM professionals will have the opportunity to discuss improving response rates. The agenda will run as follows:

1. Welcome & announcements (5 minutes)
  2. Introduction to improving response rates (5 minutes)
  3. Breakout room discussions (30 minutes)
  4. Your resources and closing (5 minutes)

What languages will be supported during the live event?

Sessions held for AMR, APJ, and EMEA will be presented in English, while the LAC session will be held in Spanish. During the sessions presented in English, Zoom’s closed captioning feature will be enabled to support captions translated to over 20 additional languages. To see the list of languages supported by Zoom’s closed caption feature, click here.

I can’t make it to the session. What are my options for getting involved?

There are lots of other ways to get involved!

1. Join Q&A discussion in the Qualtrics XM Community
  2. Register for a future session using our events calendar or check out our on-demand trainings
  3. Earn great rewards with our Rank & Rewards Program
  4. Join our XM Advocates program
  5. Take advantage of our Certification courses
  6. Explore private, live training for your organization

REGISTER HERE: https://bit.ly/XMCommunityConnect

27 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +7

Four sessions will be offered for this event, get registered before seats are filled: https://bit.ly/XMCommunityConnect

• North America: June 22, 2023, noon MDT - 12:45 p.m. MDT

• Europe, Middle East, Africa: June 21, 2023, 3 - 3:45 p.m. BST

• Asia-Pacific: June 22, 2023, 1 - 1:45 p.m. AEST

• Latin America, South America, Caribbean: June 22, 2023, noon America/Argentina/Buenos_Aires - 12:45 p.m. America/Argentina/Buenos_Aires

Let us know what discussion topic you’d like to see offered for next time. 🙂

Userlevel 6
Badge +23

Look forward to it, personally I’d love to see a session on the ticketing functionality, with tips to make best use of it (we have our way - but interesting to know how others may use it) - or anything else people are doing to drive or record action on the back of survey responses. 

I know there is a few changes occurring with ticketing, so maybe post these going live.

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Look forward to it, personally I’d love to see a session on the ticketing functionality, with tips to make best use of it (we have our way - but interesting to know how others may use it) - or anything else people are doing to drive or record action on the back of survey responses. 

I know there is a few changes occurring with ticketing, so maybe post these going live.

Thanks for the great suggestion, @ScottG! I’m passing it on to the team now.

Glad to read you’re looking forward to the session -- we look forward to seeing you there! 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I learned about Einstein in sales force to see what time people open surveys

Badge

Thanks for hosting. I learned about a new way to drip survey questions. I think in the future you should have breakout session by industry, especially for a topic like this that is so specific to industry. 

Badge

Great event and learned how the survey completion percentages vary across companies and not just ours! It was also great hearing about issues/roadblocks/successes other folks are having in the community too. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

I appreciated the conversation. It’s nice to hear that people from a variety of industries have similar questions /concerns as I do about response rates. It sounds like young adult engagement is an issue for a lot of companies. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Thanks for this session! It was interesting hearing what different groups are doing to bump survey response rates, including survey design techniques to make sure people not only start the survey but complete it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Thanks for hosting. I learned about a new way to drip survey questions. I think in the future you should have breakout session by industry, especially for a topic like this that is so specific to industry. 

That’s a great idea, Andrew! I’ll take that to the team. I’m glad you were able to join today! 

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Good session, thanks. I learned we are not the only ones plagued by spam filters :) and learned from others that when they used an inline question they see an increased response. 

Badge

Thanks for hosting as well. I really liked the comment about being strategic with your subject line. "Make your case in the first 3 seconds. 3 seconds will buy you 30 seconds, 30 seconds will buy you 3 minutes, etc. I'm going to bring back to my team.

Badge

Our breakout talked about pre-communicating surveys, which we do for some larger surveys. We have a regular cadence of about 10 different tracking surveys; we can’t pre-communicate about everything. Would be good to hear more about how companies are communicating with customers about upcoming surveys that they may be randomly selected to participate in. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Great event and learned how the survey completion percentages vary across companies and not just ours! It was also great hearing about issues/roadblocks/successes other folks are having in the community too. 

I’m so glad to hear the session today was useful! Thanks so much for posting! 🎉

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Good session, thanks. I learned we are not the only ones plagued by spam filters :) and learned from others that when they used an inline question they see an increased response. 

Spam filters are a beast, indeed 🤓 Happy you were able to take part in the session today!

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Thanks for hosting as well. I really liked the comment about being strategic with your subject line. "Make your case in the first 3 seconds. 3 seconds will buy you 30 seconds, 30 seconds will buy you 3 minutes, etc. I'm going to bring back to my team.

This is a great point! I usually spend as much time on getting the subject line right as I do the content of my surveys and emails 🚀

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Our breakout talked about pre-communicating surveys, which we do for some larger surveys. We have a regular cadence of about 10 different tracking surveys; we can’t pre-communicate about everything. Would be good to hear more about how companies are communicating with customers about upcoming surveys that they may be randomly selected to participate in. 

Thanks for the great suggestion! I think that is a topic we can definitely tackle! 💡

Badge

Great event and will attend the next.  Appreciate the links sent by the Qualtrics mediator during the breakout session.  Will try using the client name in the subject line and also try using our company domain to increase response rates.

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

I appreciated the conversation. It’s nice to hear that people from a variety of industries have similar questions /concerns as I do about response rates. It sounds like young adult engagement is an issue for a lot of companies. 

I agree -- response rates are on everyone’s mind and reaching the desired audience segment can be a challenge, but one that can be surmounted 💪 Thank you for joining the session today!

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Thanks for this session! It was interesting hearing what different groups are doing to bump survey response rates, including survey design techniques to make sure people not only start the survey but complete it.

Being strategic and deliberate is the key to success with surveys and so many other aspects of our work! 🔐

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Great event and will attend the next.  Appreciate the links sent by the Qualtrics mediator during the breakout session.  Will try using the client name in the subject line and also try using our company domain to increase response rates.

Thank you so much for joining today! I’m glad to read there were useful takeaways! 😀

Badge

I think it would be helpful to have breakout rooms by the kind of XM data we are collecting - EX data and strategies are very different in my perspective from customer experience data. 

I still think we would improve our response rates if we were able to change the noreply@qemailserver.com that the survey automatically displays as the from Address.  If this small product update allowed us to put our company/department name, many of the surveys that go unanswered because they don’t recognize this from address wouldn’t get dismissed when the employee doesn’t even open the email to access the survey link.  All of the other automated features that are pulling from the meta data are great in Qualtrics, but not being able to customize the from address seams like a simple upgrade that would be very beneficial to us.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Pretty good session. I agree that it would be beneficial (for me, at least) to separate the breakout rooms by industry. I work in state government, and the surveys that we send out are mandatory - we HAVE to have a 100% response rate, so the issues that others have with response rates are very different from the ones that I experience.

I did learn how to fix an issue I’ve had for awhile now where some people won’t receive the survey when it’s emailed from Qualtrics, even when others from the same organization do receive the email (so it’s not a domain issue) and they haven’t opted out. I was told that this is a result of them having previously opted out of a past survey, and that I just need to call the help line and they can clean up the backend so the users can receive new survey invites.

My suggestions for improving response rates are:

Make the invite email as personalized as you can. If you’re sending from Qualtrics instead of using personal links, add your signature block, use piped text to show their name, and use the normal language you would use in an email (instead of something stilted and impersonal). Otherwise, it comes off looking like spam.

ALWAYS make sure that your survey is mobile friendly if you’re targeting younger constituents, because there’s no way they’re going to a desktop to fill the survey out.

Also, if possible, give your constituents a heads up that the survey is coming before you send it out so that they are expecting it. I get a TON of spam email. Many people may not even know that you sent a survey if they don’t know to look for it.

Alternately, you could put something on your website and/or app, when possible/applicable, notifying site visitors that a survey was sent to X group of people, so that if they navigate to your website, they will get that notification/reminder.

Finally, ALWAYS test your survey before sending it (preferably yourself and at least one other person). If YOU get annoying and frustrated filling it out, your constituents definitely will.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

I think it would be helpful to have breakout rooms by the kind of XM data we are collecting - EX data and strategies are very different in my perspective from customer experience data. 

I still think we would improve our response rates if we were able to change the noreply@qemailserver.com that the survey automatically displays as the from Address.  If this small product update allowed us to put our company/department name, many of the surveys that go unanswered because they don’t recognize this from address wouldn’t get dismissed when the employee doesn’t even open the email to access the survey link.  All of the other automated features that are pulling from the meta data are great in Qualtrics, but not being able to customize the from address seams like a simple upgrade that would be very beneficial to us.

I would also like to be able to change the priority of the invite email send from Qualtrics. We’ve hosted “tips and tricks” webinars for our survey recipients to show them how they can utilize the software and programs available to them (outlook, windows, etc. - basic stuff) to make things easier. One thing we discussed was setting up an Outlook rule so that all emails marked high priority give them a desktop alert. If I could make the Qualtrics invite email high priority, it would give them a desktop notification that they could leave active until the survey is completed, so that it pops up every morning until it’s dismissed.

Badge +1

I appreciated the opportunity to learn from others since we continue to have low response rates. A few things I learned is sending the reminders out sooner than we have been, along with a few questions up front and then ask if they would be willing to take on more questions to answer. I do agree that if possible to have breakout groups by industry may be helpful to learn from someone more like what we are working with for customers. Thank you for this opportunity and I hope that you continue these in the future. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +38

While it didn’t help with increasing response rate I did enjoy the discussion around a “good” response rate (which most people don’t even know what that is) isn’t the end all be all. It reassured me in what I tell my internal clients. Response rate is just one measure of trustworthiness and you must also consider your margin of error and representativeness of respondents to the population.

I did find the statistics Qualtrics threw out on average response rates jarring: (1) it felt really high and (2) the spread was HUGE. We leverage Qualtrics in a different way as many of our respondents don’t have, don’t use, or won’t share their emails with us and won’t engage with QR codes (issues of trust, being tracked, and being low income and having to use their limited data plans to answer our surveys). 

Some questions I’d love to hear more about or see more research on - how do you determine the right incentive (vendor, price point, etc.) and ways to improve response rates among BIPOC specifically. BIPOC and men are almost always under represented for me even when oversampling them.

Leave a Reply