How do I create a peer evaluation survey for small groups? | XM Community

How do I create a peer evaluation survey for small groups?

• 3 November 2022
  • 2 replies

Badge

I would like to create a survey, in which I can upload a file with student information to populate a survey.
I would ideally like the first question to be a drop down menu with all of the names. Once the student chooses their name, they are directed to a series of five questions for EACH of their group members. They must fill out a survey for each of their group members, but ONLY their group members (I would like to avoid another drop down menu with all of the names and I would like avoid the student having to remember which group members they have reviewed in a loop as they go through the survey.)
Ideally, it is clear in the set of questions, the same for each student, which student they are evaluating, as they work through the survey.
I created a survey that works, but it laborious to construct. In the first question, I put all of the names. Then I created a block of the same five questions for each student and named each block by student. Then I set up a flow with a branch for each student conditioned on the name selection in the first question. Each branch contained a set of blocks for their group members, excluding their block. This means that each student had a different branch with a different set of blocks in the flow. To do this I manually entered names into the block title so I could select the correct set of blocks for each student in the flow. It results in many blocks (I also manually entered the names into each question, as the question title, just so I could identify that specific set of questions in the data.) Ideally I want to have a report I can send to each student. I would like to set this up in the simplest manner, so that the steps can be followed by faculty.
I'm not savvy with using embedded data, or piped text yet, but I have a feeling there is a much easier way to do this so I'm reaching out to the community.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +36

cldavi31
The above scenario can be handled by a feature known as Supplemental Data(paid feature). You can follow the below steps.
Create a blank survey with the max amount of group members as embedded data. e.g. MEMBER1,MEMBER2...etc.
Create a CSV file with student, unique id, and the group members in different columns as shown below.
image.pngYou can import this as an import response within Data Analysis. From the second survey you can mark unique ID as the parameter from which you would like all the other data.
image.png
On your main survey include the supplemental data element in survey flow mark the unique id and pull all the members for that ID. You can then pipe those main survey embedded data where you want to show the group members.
image.png
OR
If you less members and less students the same approach of your branch logic can be done for embedded data and the same can be piped within one question and multiple blocks would not be needed.
Hope it helps!

Badge

Thanks, Deepak. Great advice!

Leave a Reply