how to list block labels in randomized order in the table of content | XM Community
Solved

how to list block labels in randomized order in the table of content

• 20 November 2018
  • 4 replies

Hi there!

In my survey, question blocks are shown in randomized order. I would also like to create a table of content to help participants go back to specific previous questions. I would like to list the block labels in ToC in the _same_ randomized order as in which the blocks are shown to participants. However, since the randomizer element is not allowed below the ToC element, I'm not sure if there is a way to implement this design. Anyone can help me please? Thanks a lot!
icon

Best answer by Akdashboard 20 November 2018, 22:38

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6
You need to order this manually and have the randomizer at the top of the survey, with each possible randomized configurement of the blocks nested in a TOC block, nested in the randomizer.

Randomizer > TOC > Survey blocks

NOT | TOC > Randomizer > Survey blocks

!
Hi @Akdashboard, thanks for your answer.
Do you mean that only pseudo-randomization is possible? I need to prepare a few versions of randomized blocks, list them in a few ToCs, and randomly display one version of ToC? Thanks!
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
@nannan - Well it would be fully random, assuming you control for all possible configurations (which could be a large number depending on the number of blocks you have). The randomizer will just randomly select 1 of the TOC blocks, which in essence is the same as randomizing the blocks within the TOC.

Another variation of this that would allow you to know which set of randomized blocks they received would be to nest embedded data elements under the randomizer and assign a value (for example: experience = 1 through 9), then apply branching logic based on the embedded data element.
I see. Thanks a lot, @Akdashboard !

Leave a Reply