Limit ticks per scale point in Matrix table | XM Community
Solved

Limit ticks per scale point in Matrix table

• 24 December 2018
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1
Hi
In a matrix table item, is there a way to limit the number of ticks/choices per scalepoint? In a previous item, respondents are asked to list all examples they can think of of a specific category (e.g. "please list all Irish cities you can think of"). These answers are being carried forward to a matrix table (as statements) where they are asked to choose the top three for different categories (e.g. "now out of your answer, choose the three nicest", ".. the three biggest", etc.). I found a way to limit the number of choices/ticks per Statement ("Validation Type" => "Answer Range") but that is not what I need. I want to limit the number of ticks/choices per scalepoint (i.e. "nicest", "biggest").
Thanks in advance
icon

Best answer by TomG 24 December 2018, 14:29

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +27
You can use Custom Validation based on Scale Point Counts to limit the number of selections for each scale point (i.e., column).
Userlevel 1
Thank you so much!
Badge +1

This is a old post but sounds like exactly what I am trying to do but I can’t figure out. Every time i click custom validation it automatically pushes it to statements. I specifically want to change validation within the scales to only allow for 4 responses per scale item.  Is that possible?  Or does this need Java coding? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +27

@enixon15,

The scale points and scale point counts should be at the top of the list when you click on ‘Select choice’ in custom validation. In this example the scale points are 1 through 5:

Badge +1

I think what I am looking for is different than how i read the original comment. I have a matrix with 12 statements and 3 scale points. I want to force variation in response by allowing the user to only be able to select 4 statements per scale point (so each scale point would have 4 answers, equaling the number of statements).

If i am reading above correctly now this is to allow multiple scale responses across one statement? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +27

I think what I am looking for is different than how i read the original comment. I have a matrix with 12 statements and 3 scale points. I want to force variation in response by allowing the user to only be able to select 4 statements per scale point (so each scale point would have 4 answers, equaling the number of statements).

If i am reading above correctly now this is to allow multiple scale responses across one statement? 

You aren’t reading it correctly.  You can check the number of scale points selected across statements using ‘Scale Point (Count)’ as in the image posted.  In your case, you can check that the count for all three scales points is 4.

Badge +1

Thank you! I think I got it sorted now. I appreciate the help. 

Leave a Reply