Preventing a user to take the survey more than once using an authenticator (SSO)? | XM Community
Solved

Preventing a user to take the survey more than once using an authenticator (SSO)?

• 30 January 2019
  • 5 replies

We are building a survey that can only be accessed by students. We are using a SSO authenticator with Shibboleth to allow access to the survey. We want to be able to recognize if this student has already taken the survey based off the SSO. If they have already taken the survey, we don't want them to have to take it again. We have a large number of students with unique SSO credentials. Is there a way to create a contact with the SSO information and then check that contact with all the other contacts and see if that information already exists? If the contact does exist, the survey would end. If the contact doesn't exist, the contact would be added to the list and the student would take the survey.
icon

Best answer by Anonymous 1 February 2019, 17:35

View original

5 replies

Hello @schutte ,

Once the survey is completed, create a contact list trigger and based on unique SSO credentials as external data reference update an embedded data in contact list as completed.
In survey flow after SSO, create an Authenticator based on this contact list and check the status of embedded data, accordingly take decision to branch them to the survey or not. If not in survey then do custom end of survey with ""do not record response enabled"
@shashi I'm confused on how to implement the contact list trigger and the SSO as embedded data. Here is the SSO and embedded data !
> @schutte said:
> @shashi I'm confused on how to implement the contact list trigger and the SSO as embedded data. Here is the SSO and embedded data

Please find the attached QSF for reference. Load the QSF and go through the survey flow and contact list trigger ( in tools tab).
I used your survey flow and contact list trigger. The survey won't let the user take the survey again immediately after thy just took it, but if I use a different browser the survey will let the user take it as many times as it wants. Do you have any tips?
Userlevel 2
Badge +10
This is easy to do using Associate Respondent with Panel. You create a contact list containing the email addresses of all the students who are eligible to complete the survey. You'll have to use the same email address that they use for SSO, so if your university uses userID@abc.edu for SSO but first.last@abc.edu for email, you'll have to populate the contact list with the userID@abc.edu form of their email address. Once you have the list created, check the Associate Respondent with Panel box in the authenticator and select your contact list. Now when a user signs in with SSO, Qualtrics will (a) check to make sure the student is on the list and (b) that the student hasn't already taken the survey. If the answer to both is yes, then the student progresses to the survey. If the student isn't on the list or has already responded, then they'll be rerouted to an error message that you can customize (look under authenticator options).

Leave a Reply