How to force response on all but one answer choice in matrix question? | XM Community
Solved

How to force response on all but one answer choice in matrix question?

I have a matrix question that uses a Likert-scale point system. I have one response that is an "Other" that allows text entry. I need to have this answer option not be forced response. How do I do this?

I have tried skip logic but I don't think that will work.
icon

Best answer by JenCX 30 July 2019, 23:08

View original

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Funny, this question was just asked in another way! Here's my response:
!

and the question setup, for reference:
!
Thanks for the response, but I'm not sure that it answers my question. Here is my question setup:

!

I need to force responses on the first 3 statements, but I need it to be ok if the respondents don't select any of the scale points on the "other" text entry option.

How do I do this?
> @JenCX said:
> Funny, this question was just asked in another way! Here's my response:
> !
>
> and the question setup, for reference:
> !
>
>
> Sorry I didn't reply directly to your comment, but see my comment with my question setup above.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
> @seanwineland said:
> Thanks for the response, but I'm not sure that it answers my question. Here is my question setup:
>
> !
>
> I need to force responses on the first 3 statements, but I need it to be ok if the respondents don't select any of the scale points on the "other" text entry option.
>
> How do I do this?
>

Yes, you'll do it the same way. So under 'Custom Validation', create a logic set (with AND) each for Thing1, Thing2, Thing3 with the available options being "Serious Barrier" Is Selected OR "Somewhat of a Barrier" Is Selected OR...etc.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
> @JenCX said:
> > @seanwineland said:
> > Thanks for the response, but I'm not sure that it answers my question. Here is my question setup:
> >
> > !
> >
> > I need to force responses on the first 3 statements, but I need it to be ok if the respondents don't select any of the scale points on the "other" text entry option.
> >
> > How do I do this?
> >
>
> Yes, you'll do it the same way. So under 'Custom Validation', create a logic set (with AND) each for Thing1, Thing2, Thing3 with the available options being "Serious Barrier" Is Selected OR "Somewhat of a Barrier" Is Selected OR...etc.

Let me know if that doesn't make sense. I can build it out and show you if it doesn't.
Badge +2
@JenCX,

I have a similar scenario, with needing to bi-pass "Other", I've tried your suggestion by selecting your error message "Restrict character amount", but it does not work because if "other" is not selected, then this error message is displayed which I do not want to display.. Please assist.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
@chihobbit Can you paste a screenshot of the logic you're using, please?
Badge +2
@JenCX Please see the logic and the error message I am getting. Thank you!
!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

!
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
@chihobbit Ah ha! While I just put in that "Restrict Character Count" message as a placeholder (you'll probably want to create and use your own message that says something like 'Please answer the first two statements"), it's helped us out here! I see that the error message you're getting is the default "Force Response" error message. Try unchecking the force response and trying again.
Badge +2
@JenCX Perfect! I've unchecked "Forced response" - that fixed the working logic. I also changed the message to the one that made sense in this situation (understandably, it did not have any effect on the logic - so any error message from the menu would work as a placeholder). Thank you for your help!

Hi All. I have the same issue. However, while I feel that I have followed the approach suggested, it doesn't seem to achieve the outcome I want. If I uncheck the Force Response box, none of the options (12 different types of psychological treatment, with choices on a 5-point Likert scale) requires a response, but if I check the Force Response box all of the options, including three at the end, which display an "Other" text box allowing users to describe another treatment they would use (and which I want to be optional), require a response despite Custom Validation being in place. A screenshot of the last lines of my customised validation appears below. The part that can't be seen follows the same logic. Suggestions anyone? Thanks
image.png

Hi AndrewS :
I've been stuck on this for the last few days for a survey I am working on, and finally figured it out.
I know this is a really late response but your AND statements need to be moved to another logic set (right click on the AND and select that option). The screen should look like the first screenshot in thread, where the AND is out and above the next set of statements to evaluate.
You will also need to turn off Force Response, because it seems like if you have that on, it overrides whatever you have in custom validation.
That should resolve the issue you have.

Badge +2

Hi AndrewS and M_Denno ,
Here is an illustration of M_Denno's point:
image.png

I have the same question and im sorry but i don't understand the explanation of the logic i need to build. I want them to pick one of the likert responses for everything but not be forced to if Other hasn't been selected. I don't understand the AND statements i need to build to achieve this? please help!!!!
Other.PNG

Leave a Reply