Is there a way to add an "Exit Survey" button that would always be visible? | XM Community
Solved

Is there a way to add an "Exit Survey" button that would always be visible?

Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Hello!

We are designing a survey that will be administered over the phone. To make it easy on our Teleservice reps, it would be ideal if we could have an "out" built in if a respondent should decide they no longer wish to participate. That way, the reps don't have to keep clicking the "Next" button all the way until the end of the survey.

Does anyone know if creating this button is possible? Or would it be better to include an "Exit Survey" response to every question that would take the reps to the end of the survey?

Thank you!
icon

Best answer by KoalaTricks 29 August 2019, 18:57

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Do you care about partial responses for these abandoned sessions? Could the reps just exit normally and you filter out incomplete sessions in your reporting? You can also set the partial responses to be deleted within a short time frame (or kept indefinitely).

If you're able to use some HTML/CSS/JS, you could:

1. In the header and/or footer section of your survey, define something like this (an button that will appear on every survey page and, when clicked, create an Embedded Data field):

```<button onclick=Qualtrics.SurveyEngine.setEmbeddedData( 'escapeButtonClicked', 1)">escape!</button>
```

2. Then, in your survey flow, use ${e://Field/escapeButtonClicked} in the logic to direct to the end of the survey where needed.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Thank you so much for your help!

If the reps just close the window/browser the survey is opened in and click on the link again, it will take them to where they left off when they closed it.

I was able to add the HTML to the footer section and I see the button on every page, but I'm not understanding where to put the second code in the survey flow. Could you please explain that further?
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Re: picking up where they left off, you could disable that in Survey Options (if it's not a mailer survey): https://www.qualtrics.com/support/survey-platform/survey-module/survey-options/partial-completion/#SavingSurveyProgress

Re: #2, you can actually use the UI Embedded Data -- it'll depend on your flow where to insert it. It's admittedly a bit clunky depending on how many pages/blocks your survey has since you'd need to tell it, "Before each page, determine if the escape button was clicked". Here's a simple/dumb example:

!
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Also, for visual debugging, you could make the footer include the ED code as well, so all together:

```
<button onclick=Qualtrics.SurveyEngine.setEmbeddedData( 'escapeButtonClicked', 1)">escape!</button>
Button clicked: ${e://Field/escapeButtonClicked}
```
Then, as you go page to page, you'll see a 1 once the escape button is clicked.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Ahh, that is a bit chunky! Thank you so much for the visual. I'm definitely going to have to play around with it, but I don't want to mess our logic flow up. I think I will go with turning the "Save and Continue" option off. Will partial responses still be saved this way?
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Partial Response saving/deletion settings are at the bottom of the Survey Options modal -- so you could set it to be un-restartable with the Save/Continue checkbox and then decide if you want to delete or record partial responses after some time period of inactivity. It's two settings in the same menu.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Perfect. You have been such a help - thank you again!! 🙂
Badge

Hi there,
I came across this post through the search function. I tried to paste the code for the button in the footer, but instead of seeing a button I only see the code. Can someone help?
Maybe good to know: I do not know anything about java or html so I am sorry if this is a very stupid question!

Thanks in advance

Badge

Hello,

Thank you for these posts. I am trying to create an exit button but I am new to html. Is there any step-by-step advice I could ask for on how to insert this html code in the header or footer? Do I start from the published link to my survey when trying to edit the website?

Many thanks,

Hannah

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hello,

Thank you for these posts. I am trying to create an exit button but I am new to html. Is there any step-by-step advice I could ask for on how to insert this html code in the header or footer? Do I start from the published link to my survey when trying to edit the website?

Many thanks,

Hannah

@Han Go to look & Feel → General → Header/Footer edit → source:

Badge

Hello,

Is it possible to have this “EXIT” button only at the end of the Survey, and really leaving the page ?

It is now appearing also in the footer of the question.

When I click on “Exit” button, nothing is happening. I am not leaving the Survey.

Leave a Reply