I am creating a new question format and I dont know how to record the question response in qualtrics | XM Community
Solved

I am creating a new question format and I dont know how to record the question response in qualtrics

Hi guys, I am creating a new question format in qualtrics but I don't know the function which can be used to record the question response in qualtrics!

Many thanks for your help and time.
Mengya
icon

Best answer by mattyb513 17 July 2018, 18:45

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +6
`setEmbeddedData` will likely work. It will save it as a variable which shows up as a column in your data. It's kind of a catch-all solution, and is used like this:

```javascript
Qualtrics.SurveyEngine.setEmbeddedData('myVarName','myValue');
```

If you need it to actually be saved as a question response (usually for reporting reasons), you'll need to add a hidden question to the page and transfer the value. Depending on the question type, `setChoiceValue` would work for that.
Thank you for your quick and detailed reply!I am still wondering if I want to create my own element choice that gets all choice value from the provided radio button. After user select answer from my new created element then how I can send that selected value back to the qualtric radio button or send back to the system to save that answer value.

Much appreciate for your help 🙂
Userlevel 6
Badge +6
To select a choice of a hidden question you can probably use jQuery’s .click() or there is an undocumented JS function that may work for you:

Qualtrics.SurveyEngine.registry[hiddenQuestionId].setChoiceValue(choiceId, true);

If it’s a text value you can simply store the value in the input before the page is submitted.
That is so cool! It works! Thank you!

Leave a Reply