🦇 Spooky Season | Badge of the Month | October 2022 | XM Community

🦇 Spooky Season | Badge of the Month | October 2022

🦇  Spooky Season | Badge of the Month | October 2022

Show first post

108 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +9

I prefer the Halloween movies that are more fun than scary. Along the lines of the 31 nights of Halloween movies: Hocus Pocus, Nightmare Before Christmas, Frankenweenie, Beetlejuice. More seasonal nostalgia than screams. 🍅
(Also, I think that is a tomato emoji ⬆️ and not a pumpkin, but I am just going with it!)

Badge +48

MelissaW I don't know about you but The Nightmare Before Christmas used to give me a whole lot of scary nightmares as a kid 😂 🍅

Userlevel 5
Badge +20

https://community.qualtrics.com/XMcommunity/discussion/comment/50313#Comment_50313Halloween is a contentious one here in Australia. It's certainly not an Aussie tradition, but retailers continue to push it more and more each year. There are plenty of people who love and embrace it, and plenty who have zero interest in it, however - no offence intended to anyone here - with the ever-increasing influence of American culture through television and movies etc, it's probably here to stay.
I must admit I've always thought it was ironic that we teach kids they should never accept candy from strangers because it's not safe (except for that one night of the year when it's apparently perfectly acceptable and safe to do so). 🤨
Sarcasm/jokes aside, for those who do love and celebrate Halloween, then I wish you a very Happy Halloween! 👻🎃
https://community.qualtrics.com/XMcommunity/discussion/comment/50395#Comment_50395Absolutely love the Alien series! The first 2 movies are classic sci-fi horror 😊
https://community.qualtrics.com/XMcommunity/discussion/comment/50399#Comment_50399You beat me to it MattiasM! I always felt that Event Horizon was such an underrated sci-fi horror flick!! I actually got my hands on the novel and read it many years back. If memory serves me correctly, it contained some additional freaky scenes and descriptions that were tweaked (or cut) from the final movie release.

Userlevel 6
Badge +41

StMaarten.jpgWith Halloween seemingly having its roots in paganism and early (Irish/Scottish) Christianity, it only became popular in the Netherlands in the last decade or so along with other fads like Valentines Day that blew over from the US. Apart from the spooky aspect, a key activity is kids going door to door to collect sweets. Which the Dutch children traditionally do on November 11th as part of Sint Martin's Day where they carry a lantern and sing songs in return for candy.  

Badge +3

Nightmare on Elm Street is a very scary movie. It dives into dreams and how dreams can be real which is a scary thought. All of the Freddy Krueger movies are scary to be honest. If you haven't seen this movie, you should watch it and be ready to lose some sleep that night.

Userlevel 5
Badge +36

I love the classics - Halloween series and anything Stephen King.

Userlevel 7
Badge +31

https://community.qualtrics.com/XMcommunity/discussion/comment/50454#Comment_50454I definitely see your point about Halloween now being forced upon the unwilling internationally 🙂 When I moved to Germany (many, many) years ago, no one knew what Halloween was, and I had to explain it to people. Now, Halloween parties are all the rage. Amazing and bewildering how it has caught on. Personally, not a big fan of the holiday as an adult, but for kids, it can be fun.
Oh and yes, the whole taking candy from strangers thing is very odd, when one thinks about it!

Userlevel 3
Badge +11

I think the only "scary" movie I saw this year was Ghostbusters Afterlife. I'm not the target audience for scary movies

Userlevel 5
Badge +33

I just recently finished the series Midnight Mass on Netflix and I thought it was really good (and spooky). The creator of the show also did The Haunting of Hill House and The Haunting of Bly Manor, which are great too.

Badge +48

https://community.qualtrics.com/XMcommunity/discussion/comment/50486#Comment_50486I watched all three and highly recommend them! I had no clue that the creator also made Midnight Mass 🕛

Userlevel 7
Badge +37

Oh I SO do not like scary movies at all, and can't even watch TV in the month of October because of all the movie trailers! (In the summer of 1999 I was dating someone who loved to go to movies - any movies really - and in a short window we went to see The Blair Witch Project (covered my eyes through most of it), The Sixth Sense, and The Haunting.
I really must have liked this guy, right??? LOL
After that, I bought nightlights. Not kidding at all.

Badge +1

I'm a big fan of horror films - one of my fave's is The Others with Nicole Kidman.

Also, love a book with a good scary twist and currently recommend:
image.png

Userlevel 2
Badge +11

Spooky is an interesting adjective. If we're talking scary, Alien (the original) is the only scary movie that I enjoyed and that probably had a lot to do with my age at the time. For spooky, I would have to go with The Sixth Sense.

Userlevel 3
Badge +16

Hi!! Greetings from Madrid!! 😉
I'm do not see many scary movies or series... as my wife doesn't like them too much. But giving another approach to scary things... I would say that Don't look up can be pretty scary if you think how media and masses behave sometimes ;-)
Have a great day to everyone!
Don't look up

Badge +48

leah_moore The Others is my mom's favorite scary movie too! We both think that movie does an incredible job of scaring you without you actually seeing anything explicitly scary - it's what you don't see that is so spooky! 👻

Badge +48

CarolK & PhilipMoore The Sixth Sense is such a fantastic classic with a phenomenal plot twist 👻

Badge +6

Just like most people Stranger Things Season 4, was just dark in a new way. Lovecraft Country did it for me with the creepy factor and it was very entertaining, I was super sad 😥about not having a season two. One for me as a kid, I watched Event Horizon at a sleepover and that stayed with me for years lol. My mom will still tease me to this day about that movie. 😂

Badge +1

"It's the great pumpkin Charlie Brown!" is about my speed.... I dislike being scared or horrified.

Userlevel 4
Badge +23

image.pngEnded up rewatching the entire series of Dexter in order to watch the reprise Dexter, New Blood. The original series was a strangely deep commentary on vigilante justice, and the new season made years later tried to bring closure to a few open questions the many fans had. It took a wild twist to end the show that so many did not want, but was also "right" in its own way. This show is spooky because they tried to make viewers empathize with a serial killer. I used to enjoy horror movies a long time ago, but stopped watching. This show was the first thrilling story in a long time that I watched because it did portray a character that truly struggled with right versus what felt right to them which I think is a common human experience. One of my main take aways from this show is not that vigilante serial killing should be praised, but people genuinely wrestle with deep mysterious parts of who they are.

Userlevel 4
Badge +23

I try to avoid scary and horror films because i cant watch them all alone. But i like to watch some less scary like "The GooseBumps" and I like every part of that movie and the book.
Stranger Things Season 4 👌, I have seen a K-drama named "Hell Bound" this year and I was literally scared for few days thinking about it. And the last one, Jeepers Creepers all parts.

Userlevel 5
Badge +24

I am not a scary movie fan and do not like haunted houses at all. I do love to see all the costumes the kids wear and how some are so creative. My husband and I volunteer each year at our Tulsa Zoo for the HallowZOOeen event and it is tons of fun. My work (QT) and many other companies sponsor areas in the zoo which provide games for the little kids to play while trick or treating.

Badge +48

https://community.qualtrics.com/XMcommunity/discussion/comment/50558#Comment_50558The ending of New Blood is crazy - but very fitting compared to the original Dexter finale. I was a huge fan of Dexter and remember being really disappointed by the series finale. I am so glad that they added to the end of the story with New Blood 😍

Userlevel 3
Badge +20

I loved the post above about the ghost and mr. chicken. I haven't thought about that movie in 30 years. Now to find it streaming. Another older one is the Topper movies. A little older than Don Knotts film, but vintage supernatural goodness.

Userlevel 4
Badge +24

jlsisthebest YES! I was trying to limit myself, but we also LOVE Topper Returns. Thanks for bringing it up!

Userlevel 5
Badge +30

I love Stephen King's short stories. The Long Walk is my favorite. It reads like a pre-cursor to The Hunger Games. Although many may not consider them horror, I find dystopian futures scary!

Leave a Reply