Adding commas to numeric responses in a matrix table | XM Community
Skip to main content
Solved

Adding commas to numeric responses in a matrix table

• 6 December 2019
  • 2 replies

I have a matrix table where the rows are services, and the columns are number of clients served, units served, and dollars spent (see image for example).

I would like to format the question so that commas appear when the respondents enter their numeric response - so if they enter 3000000 they would see 3,000,000.

I have found this code using Cleave.js and applied it to single text entry question, but I cannot figure out how to make it work within a matrix table. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

!

2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2
@TraciW You are on the right path. Since we are dealing with a matrix, you would need to insert an array statement at the front of the JS, inserted under the OnLoad section of your question JS.

<code>var inputs = jQuery("input[type='text']");
inputs .toArray() .forEach(function(field)
{
new Cleave(field,
{
numeral: true,
numeralThousandsGroupStyle: 'thousand'
});
});</code>

One thing to be cautious of is the commas will also appear in your data. This means some platforms may read the cell as a string rather than numeric. It could also mess with comma delimited file formats as well. Something to be aware of in case your run into issues.
@C_Bohn This worked perfectly. Thank you so much for your clear explanation and things to watch out for.

Leave a Reply