Allowing respondents to skip constant sum questions despite 'Must Total' validation | XM Community
Solved

Allowing respondents to skip constant sum questions despite 'Must Total' validation

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi,
At my organization, we ask a lot of constant sum questions, but we also want to let our respondents skip them when they don't have the relevant data. As of now, it seems impossible to allow respondents to skip questions when 'Must Total' is selected. I think it would be ideal if the 'Must Total' validation was "activated" AFTER respondents enter ANY data into one of the constant sum boxes. So, in effect, if respondents don't enter any data, they can skip it without triggering the validation rules.
The folks over at Product Ideas suggested I post the question here. Does anyone have the custom code to make this work? Thank you in advance - I'm a newbie with javascript!
Also, I have added this request/idea to the Product Ideas page, and I've asked if they can allow the validation to be changed to 'Request Response' at a minimum or, ideally, if they can "activate" the validation as described above.
If you think this should become a standard feature, please upvote it here: https://community.qualtrics.com/XMcommunity/discussion/16460/request-response-not-force-for-constant-sum-questions/p1?new=1
Thanks,
Dr. Josh Kahn

icon

Best answer by ahmedA 2 July 2021, 22:21

View original

26 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

@ahmedA - is there a way to do this keeping the built-in ‘must add to 100’ validation? I really like the way this looks, with the counter and the way in which it stops the sliders going any further if this leads to a sum over 100. However, I would also like the respondent to be able to enter nothing, and effectively skip the question. Is this possible?

Leave a Reply