Asking respondents to complete a word fragment | XM Community
Skip to main content
Hi all,

I need to ask my respondents to complete the word fragment such as "_ A T E". In this case, they can fill in the blank with an "H," to make "HATE," an "L," to make "LATE," etc. How can I include a question like this in Qualtrics? I know I could use a text entry form, with boxes for each letter, but when it comes to word-fills more like "T _ M _ E R," I'm concerned that it would make it difficult for respondents to reply. I'm utterly out of practice with code, so any advice would be appreciated.

TIA for any help.
You can create multi entry box, so like two open end boxes fpr "T _ M _ E R," Reespondent can enter word in boxes and you can concatenate these words as single word to be stored as embedded data.
@Rock I understand that I can include multiple boxes and store the whole word as embedded data, sorry I should have made that clear.

I am asking how to present the question more coherently to the respondent. For example, if instead of clicking on two boxes below the word "T _ M _ E R," to fill in the first and second blank respectively, if they could just click the blanks in the word "T _ M _ E R," and type directly "into the word,"or even better, if they could just start typing and the cursor would jump from the first blank to the second automatically- that would be ideal.

EDIT: I just thought of it- I want to sort of "embed" the means by which to answer in the question itself, rather than forcing the respondent to answer below.

exhaustedwerewolf If you haven't resolved this yet (I know it's been a minute), you might try this thread:
https://www.qualtrics.com/community/discussion/3194/text-entry-form-adding-unique-static-text-following-text-entry-box

Leave a Reply