Complex combinations logic for displaying blocks | XM Community
Question

Complex combinations logic for displaying blocks

• 29 January 2022
  • 3 replies

Badge +1

Hi, I have a specific request on Qualtrics branching logic (for blocks). I'm wondering if there's an efficient way to either use javascript code or use the Qualtrics UI such that a different block is displayed depending on each of 2^10 = 1024 possibilities, from binary answers to 10 questions earlier in the survey. So I would show a different blocks for each possibility. For example,
If A & B & C & D & E & F & G & H & I & J then proceed with one block. But if (not A) & B & C & D & E & F & G & H & I & J, the show a different block.
Where there are 1024 different blocks (although the blocks would certainly have overlap in the questions being asked).
Does anyone have thoughts on how to tackle this?

3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Here's a support page I found that may be of use to you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +27

Hi there, I think your first step would be to make the 1024 blocks exist within your survey. The most efficient way to do this would probably be to Import a survey using the Advanced Format TXT. This might be the page that desiree_44 was going to link you to:
https://www.qualtrics.com/support/survey-platform/survey-module/survey-tools/import-and-export-surveys/#PreparingAnAdvancedFormatTXTFile
Once all of the blocks and questions exist in the survey, the next step would be to add branching to the survey flow based on the answers to the first 10 questions in the survey. In the survey flow, configure the branching for a couple of the blocks. At this point, it might be possible to export a QSF and modify the JSON to include the rest of the survey flow branching, but this would need to be done very carefully. Reformatting the JSON first might be helpful to replicate the branching for the already configured blocks, and a tool for that can be found here:
https://www.jsonformatter.io/
I think extensive modifications to QSFs are prone to error, so a more reliable way to make sure the branching is configured correctly would be to do it by hand, though it would certainly take a while.

Userlevel 7
Badge +27

I would use JS or a web service that used the 10 questions as inputs and sets 'block' to a value from 1 to 1024. You could then use 'block' in your survey flow branch logic.

Leave a Reply