Count Selected Choices with JavaScript | XM Community
Skip to main content
Solved

Count Selected Choices with JavaScript

• 1 August 2018
  • 3 replies

Hello,

I have a multiple choice question where you can submit multiple answers.

I want to count the number of answers selected in a previous question and save it in an embedded data field for later use. The first part of this is what I am having problems with.

I have got to the point where I can save the text of the choices, but not yet any further: ${q://QID368/ChoiceGroup/SelectedChoices}

This displays (when used as piped text in a later question) the text of the checked answers, but I just want to count them.

Is there a documentation which contains all the possible branches/elements behind ChoiceGroup/... or even QID368/... etc. ?

Also I don't quite know where to debug/fiddle with things in general. Currently I use the Firefox console, where I could view the JavaScript code of my question (due to an error I believe). But now I can't access that anymore.

I am new Qualtrics and have little experience with JavaScript.

Thanks for any help!

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +38
@CanerLC there is documention on this in Qualtrics Support.

Check out this page: https://www.qualtrics.com/support/survey-platform/survey-module/editing-questions/piped-text/piped-text-overview/

The very bottom has a QTip that shows you the code for piping in choice count:

Qtip: This option is not in the Piped Text menu. The format for the Selected Count Piped Text is ${q://QIDX/SelectedChoicesCount}. For example, if you want to show the number of selected answers for Q12, it’d be ${q://QID12/SelectedChoicesCount}. If Q12 is a Matrix Table and you want Selected Count for the second statement, the Piped Text is ${q://QID12/SelectedChoicesCount/2}.
Thank you very much. This helps me a lot!
Userlevel 7
Badge +27
As to your second question, use Chrome developer tools for debugging.

Leave a Reply