Creating questions using randomized previously answered pick, group and rank questions | XM Community
Question

Creating questions using randomized previously answered pick, group and rank questions

• 16 October 2023
  • 5 replies

Badge +1

Hello guys,

I look for some help

I have three pick, group and rank questions. Let us say:

Question 1 has to group values A, B, C, D in two bins(high and low).

Question 2 has to group values L, M, N in two bins(high and low).

Question 3 has to group values X, Y, Z in two bins ( high and low).

Based on all these items I need to generate dynamic questions of type:

Dynamic question 1: A has the property L because of X

Dynamic question 2: A has the property L because  of Y.

Dynamic question 3: A has the property L because of Z.

Dynamic question 4: A has property M because of X. and so on until I finished all the possible combinations.

My fist big question: Can this design be done without JS or JQuery or not?

My second big question: What is the approach without JS or JQuery, if possible?

My third big question: What is the approach for the soultion with JS or JQuery?

What I did so far:

I tried to implement a solution without JS or JQuery.

I have created the three pick, group and rank questions inside a block(block1).

I have created three randomization having embedded data the items from the three aforementioned questions in another block(block2).

I have created dynamic questions using the embedded data from block 2 in another block(block3).

The problem I have is that all the questions in clock three display the same values while I was expecting to see different values based on the randomization from block2.

Thank you for your help.

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +19

Hi @Qualtricslv ,

I'm experiencing some confusion regarding the purpose of the Pick, Group, and Rank questions in this context. While I assume that you have intentions to employ them to establish a specific logic, such intentions are not explicitly articulated in the provided information. As of now, I'll temporarily set this aspect aside and proceed with the following recommendation.

For the subsequent steps, I'd like to suggest a systematic approach. Firstly, create a comprehensive list of all conceivable scenarios within an Excel file. Subsequently, copy this data and paste it into the fields designated for the Loop and Merge functionality within your survey platform.

This strategy will allow you to utilize the data efficiently, enabling you to employ piping based on the predefined scenarios. Consequently, your survey will be able to repetitively present the relevant questions for each of the specified scenarios.

As follows :

And it will be shown like this :

If you need it to  be based on the logic of Pick , Group and Rank question then please provide the logic so that I can look into its feasibility or possible solution.

Hope This resolves your query😊.
​​​​​​​

Badge +1

Hi qualtrics_nerd,

Your answer appears to be what I am looking for. I will try to implement it and let you know how things work.

The logic of the Pick, Group and Rank is that a survey respondent may chose not to group all the items, and any item at all. For example, while question 1 ask the respondent to group A, B, C, D in two bins, the respondent may only group A, or B, or AB in one of the bins and none in the other bins.

I only want to create subsequent dynamic questions based only on the grouped items, and not on all the items. This is my ideal scenario, to use in the subsequent dynamically created questions only grouped items, and not all the items before grouping (i.e., A, B, C, D).

Thank you.

Badge +1

Hi @qualtrics_nerd,

The solution is not feasible because the table in Loop & Merge should be dynamically created.

I am thinking now, that maybe, the only way will be to hard coding in JavaScript or using Qualtrics API.

Any thoughts?

Thank you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Yes, this will require JS to check the choices ranked and then select the combinations accordingly.

Badge +1

Is there anybody here who can give me a start?

1. I am thinking that I need to create three arrays based on the pick , group and rank answers.
  2. Get those arrays into a different block or page and loop through all three of them.
  3. While looping, I need to create new questions one by one using the appropriate combination.
  4. Record the answers of these dynamically created questions.

Thanks for any feedback.

Leave a Reply