Custom Numeric Validation | XM Community
Skip to main content
Hi,

I am having participants estimate different amounts. I want their responses to be numerical and estimated to the second decimal point (e.g., 17.15). I cannot find a way to do this in Qualtrics with the existing options. For Content Validation I can specify numeric, a min, a max, and the max number of decimals (when really I want a min number of decimals). I maybe be able to achieve my goal via the Custom Validation with regex code.

Can anyone help me with this? Thank you!!
hi @ecw2144

You can use custom validation where the text entry matches with the following regex:

^\\d+\\.\\d\\d$

Hope this helps 🙂
> @NiC said:

> hi @ecw2144

> You can use custom validation where the text entry matches with the following regex:

> ^\\d+\\.\\d\\d$

> Hope this helps 🙂

Except Qualtrics doesn't recognize shorthand character classes, so you have to do it like this:

```

^[0-9]+.[0-9]{2}$

```
> @TomG said:

> > @NiC said:

> > hi @ecw2144

> > You can use custom validation where the text entry matches with the following regex:

> > ^\\d+\\.\\d\\d$

> > Hope this helps 🙂

>

> Except Qualtrics doesn't recognize shorthand character classes, so you have to do it like this:

> ```

> ^[0-9]+.[0-9]{2}$

> ```

>

It works i tried it before suggesting it 🙂
> @NiC said:

> > @TomG said:

> > > @NiC said:

> > > hi @ecw2144

> > > You can use custom validation where the text entry matches with the following regex:

> > > ^\\d+\\.\\d\\d$

> > > Hope this helps 🙂

> >

> > Except Qualtrics doesn't recognize shorthand character classes, so you have to do it like this:

> > ```

> > ^[0-9]+.[0-9]{2}$

> > ```

> >

>

> It works i tried it before suggesting it 🙂

If it does, it must be something new. It has never recognized them before.
Thank you @NiC and @TomG -- I was able to get it to work as needed! 😀
> @ecw2144 said:

>

> For Content Validation I can specify numeric, a min, a max, and the max number of decimals (when really I want a min number of decimals).

Hi ecw2144, I was searching for my questions about setting decimal places in my custom validation when I came across your post. I believe you know the answer to my question. Can you please tell me how to specify the max number of decimals for a numeric entry? I was able to specify the max and min of the range, but couldn't figure out about the decimals.

Thank you!

Leave a Reply