Displaying a random number within question (and choice options) using JavaScript | XM Community
Skip to main content
Hello everyone 🙂

I am trying to achieve the following and I am assuming that I will need some JavaScript for that, however, I am not (yet) familiar with that. So really any hint of help is very much appreciated!

Within the description text of a question I would like to display a random number between two values (newly drawn for every participant). Within a choice option of that question I would like to do the same thing but with different min and max values. Additionally, I also need to be able to record which numbers were drawn for each participant in each question. More specifically, for the question text I need the text to look something like this: "texttextext (randon number)€. texttextext"

I am assuming one can use some form of this code: var randomnumber = Math.floor(Math.random() * (500 + 1) + 50)

but than again my understanding of JavaScript is fairly limited.

Thank you so much for sharing your ideas!

Marco
Marco,

Since you need to save the values, you can just pipe a random number into an embedded variable in the survey flow, then pipe the embedded variable into the question. No JS needed.

```

Q1_rand = ${rand://int/5:55}

```
Hi Tom,

thank you very much for your quick help - I totally didn't know about the embedded variable and piping functions. I do have a follow-up question though: is there any way to take an embedded variable as the upper limit of a random number range? Something like this:

${rand://int/ 5 : e://Field/VariableName}

I am assuming that the random number function needs two integers to work - can I make the embedded variable an integer somehow?

Thank you!
No, you can't nest piped values.
Thanks for your answer. Do you see any other possibility to achieve the following:

I need to draw a random number X. Next I need to draw a second random number from a different range - more specifically the upper level will either be Y or if the first drawn number (X) is lower than Y - X needs to be the upper limit. So it is basically an if than statement (which is technically possible with the branch function) - however the upper limit under the condition X<Y needs to be X aka a randomly drawn number itself.

Leave a Reply