draw samples from a lottery | XM Community
Question

draw samples from a lottery

• 31 October 2023
  • 1 reply

Badge

Hello! In my survey, I would like participants to sample outcomes from a certain underlying lottery. People do not know the outcomes and associated probabilities of that lottery, but they have to sample with replacement to get an idea of what the underlying probability could be. Afterward, I will ask them some follow-up questions.

For example, consider a lottery where there is a 20% chance of winning 10 euros and an 80% chance of winning 0 euros. I want participants to 'draw' samples and receive feedback. For each draw, I want them to have a 20% chance of receiving 10 as feedback and an 80% chance of receiving 0 as feedback. I want them to sample 10 times from this lottery, so they will approximately receive 8 instances of 0 and 2 instances of 10, but this might differ.

Does anyone know how to program this in Qualtrics? Thank you in advance.

1 reply

Userlevel 6
Badge +37

Hi @esmeeverhagen,

You will have to make an embedded dat in the survey flow for random number between 1 and 100.

Then create 2 branch logic if the result is above or under 20% to setup the prize they win and pipe it into a static text question.

Then you’ll just have to repeat and add some explanation text in your survey

Leave a Reply