Dropdown answers in-line with question text | XM Community
Skip to main content
Does anyone know how to have a dropdown list of answer choices appear in-line with the the text of a question? Like Madlibs! I'm trying to come close to the TOFHLA (a metric for health literacy assessment), an example is the bottom half of Fig 7 on this webpage: https://www.medscape.org/viewarticle/566053_5

I think the best way for me to replicate this in Qualtrics is with an in-line dropdown answer box replacing the blank. Any idea how to do that? Or a different suggestion?
I don't have an answer to this, but I've seen it before and I hope someone answers you, Qualtrics builds a user case on it, and we all can benefit from your question.
I put in a support ticket but unfortunately all I got was the answer below. I think my workaround will be to use the Hot Spot feature and use an image with hot spots drawn around the appropriate answer choices. As best as I understand it though the validation for this type of question won't work 100% for my intended use - in other words participants can be restricted to only 5 (or whatever 😵 answers total on the image but I can't discriminate between someone picking 1 answer for each of the 5 blanks versus picking 2 answers for a blank, 1 each for the next 3 blanks, and no answer for the final blank.

Oh well.

"Thank you for reaching Qualtrics Support!

After analyzing different possibilities for your request, I couldn't find a solution to your problem.

I also tried to research a workaround that could let you display the question in a similar way but, unfortunately, it seems that there's not a similar functionality on Qualtrics.

I believe that this could be a feature that many other users could find helpful in the future, so I'd like to file a feature request for it. However, this doesn't mean that a similar question type will be available soon and it also doesn't guarantee that the feature will be developed.

Given the long times for the feature requests, I believe that the best solutions for you would be changing the structure of your question.

I'm sorry that I can not be more helpful.

If you have any questions or you'd like any type of assistance, please let me know!"
!
This is what I want!!!!!!
It is possible to build this type of question with JavaScript. See the example I posted here:

https://www.qualtrics.com/community/discussion/4074/custom-fill-in-the-blank-drop-down-questions#Comment_12713

Alternatively, you can contact me if you are willing to help offset development costs.
Hi MaryC,

That is feasible. Create all those questions on same page and adjust respective positions by css and javascript.
@TomG and @KimothiSaurabh,

I wish I knew CSS and Java, but I do not.

Leave a Reply