Evaluating employees- Looping a block and adding employee name | XM Community

Evaluating employees- Looping a block and adding employee name

• 5 December 2022
  • 1 reply

Hello,
I need to allow a manager X to evaluate employee Y and employee Z
When the manager accesses the survey, then they would view a repeated block to respond according to employee name.
So I would know in my embedded data the number of subordinates and the names of the employees. However, I'm not sure how to make use of the options (piped text, loop, embedded). I need a section to repeated and to include the respective names of the subordinates. I don't want to refer to a number answered by the manager as I want to display the actual names and number of repeats.
My questions are:

• what is the best way to structure the contact list? by manager or by subordinate?

• how can I use the loop and merge and pipe the text of the names from my embedded data? I need them to be pre-defined as I need to track longitudinal responses by employee.

Thanks a lot
I really need to do this to make the study easy to fill for one of my PhD studies.

1 reply

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Question 1: What is the best way to structure your list? By Manager. Since you should have a one to many relationship (many subordinates for each manager).
On the loop and merge, on the first loop you want to show the first subordinate's name, on the second the second subordinate's name, and so on. unfortunately, you can't use a variable array within the loop, so you'll need another way to cycle through your list of subordinate's names.
I know you want to do loop and merge, but sometimes it's not the best solution. How many subordinates will each manager have? If it's a maximum of say 5 to 7, you could use Survey Flow to set an embedded value to each of the subordinate's names in turn. And open the questions (as a block) multiple times (one block called multiple times in the Flow. And use the embedded data field where ever you want the person's name to show. problem is you won't have this value on the export (it will show the code) - so you'll need to include the embedded data so you know who each response is for.

Leave a Reply