Highlighting or Forcing a Comment Response Using JavaScript on a side by side question | XM Community
Skip to main content

Hello, 

I am working with a side by side question where the first column is a series of radio buttons from 0 to 5, and the second column is a comments column for survey takers to expand on their response. I am trying to find a way to force users to input a comment into the comment column if their response in the first column is either 1 or 2. If a forced requirement isn’t possible, I’d like to have the corresponding row be highlighted when a user selects 1 or 2 as a way to remind them to fill out the comment. Here’s the code I have right now trying to highlight the comment box column description, any help is appreciated!

Qualtrics.SurveyEngine.addOnReady(function() {
    // Get the ID of the current question
    var questionId = this.getQuestionInfo().QuestionID;

// Define the rows
    var rows = 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10]; // Adjust according to your question design.

// Function to check the radio button selection and apply highlight
    var checkAndHighlight = function() {
        var isOneOrTwoSelected = false;

rows.forEach(function(row) {
            var radios = document.querySelectorAll(`#QID${questionId} .ChoiceStructure tbody tr:nth-child(${row+1}) inputttype="radio"]`);

radios.forEach(function(radio) {
                if (radio.checked && (radio.value == '1' || radio.value == '2')) {
                    isOneOrTwoSelected = true;
                    return false; // break the loop
                }
            });
        });

console.log("isOneOrTwoSelected: " + isOneOrTwoSelected); // Debugging line

// Select the comment instruction text
        var commentText = document.querySelector(`#QID${questionId} .SSCMSR1 .QuestionText`);

if (isOneOrTwoSelected) {
            commentText.style.backgroundColor = 'yellow'; // highlight the box
        } else {
            commentText.style.backgroundColor = 'white'; // remove the highlight
        }
    };

// Add a click event listener to all radio buttons
    document.querySelectorAll(`#QID${questionId} .ChoiceStructure tbody tr inputtype="radio"]`).forEach(function(radio) {
        radio.addEventListener('click', checkAndHighlight);
    });
});

@at3gk Have you tried using custom validation for forcing the response and JS to highlight it.

You can also refer this post to highlight unanswered rows (it’s for matrix you can modify it for Side by Side)

Leave a Reply