HOW DO I LIMIT SIDE BY SIDE TEXT ENTRIES TO ONLY ONE OPTION AT A TIME | XM Community
Solved

HOW DO I LIMIT SIDE BY SIDE TEXT ENTRIES TO ONLY ONE OPTION AT A TIME

• 14 February 2021
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

On to my next project. At the moment, my challenge at the moment is finding the code that will limit the number of text entries in a side-by-side question table to one (1). In other words, respondents will only be able to fill-in one textbox or the other. A picture of what I need is attached. In the example below, a tea expert has an option to describe "Green" tea or "Black" tea - not both even though there are two text boxes available. If the expert tried to write in both boxes, they would receive an error message or, in the simplest of terms, their text simply would not appear.
I can figure things out fairly well, but it will take time. However, due to an fast arriving deadline, I a, willing to discuss freelancer work if necessary.
TextEntry Table.png As always, any help would be deeply appreciated.

icon

Best answer by BUTCHHENRY 14 February 2021, 08:45

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 1

this is the closest I could get to your presentation.
First make a side by side question:
image.png
Then click inside the text field for answer 2 for each column, and delete it.
image.png
Then switch from a scaled response to open ended text.
image.png
Column options again, resize the text box to essay.   
image.png
I whittled it down to 1 statement, but you don’t need to. I also removed the “click to write column” text. Delete it, then say no to removing the column.
image.png
Next, click custom validation:
image.png
From here. You’ll select each choice to be empty when the other is not.
image.png
You’ll need to make two logic sets (select ‘move to a new logic set’ from the and/or drop down menu. And don’t forget the logic between the two sets needs to be switch to OR). The validation will finally look like this:

image.png

Last, make a custom validation message.
image.pngimage.png
And that should do it.
image.png
I could be overlooking something, but the side by sides aren't flexible such that I can add the conspicuous 'OR' between them without being okay with a vestigial radiobutton, or diving into JS.
It honestly might be fine. The validation wouldn't care about it at all. see below.
image.png
If you really hated the radio button, you could right click inspect the element, grab it with document.getElementById()/document.querySelectorAll()/document.getElementsByClassName(); and .remove(); it.
It’s ID is dependent on when you made it so yours wouldn’t be the same as mine for me to give you a code snippet. This is as close aesthetically as I could get it, functioning properly, in a pinch.

I hope that’s helpful

-BUTCHHENRY

Userlevel 1
Badge

WOW. I am sincerely overwhelmed by how generously you shared your time and the quality of your explanation was flawless. Of course it worked like a charm . . . and I thank you greatly for your help. (You should not be up at 2:45 in the morning. Just saying.)

Leave a Reply