How to analyze questions that have piped text? | XM Community
Skip to main content

Hi all! I appreciate any help with this as I am new to Qualtrics. 

I created a survey in which a user would input free text answers to 6 questions at the beginning. Each question had 1 required answer but the ability to add up to 4 additional answers, which made for a total of 30 potential answers (but 6 required answers). 

Of these answers, I then pulled those into a set of 5 ranking questions where users ranked which free text answer was their most important (1-5). I used the “Piped Text” function to pull each answer into the new questions and then used display logic on each to only show the answer if (1) there was an answer in the original free text field and (2) it wasn’t selected already in one of the other ranks. 

I hope this all makes sense! The survey itself is working well for our users, but we are finding it very difficult to analyze the answers. Instead of showing what the piped text is, it’s just showing the code (e.g. “${q://QID46/ChoiceTextEntryValue/1}”). Has anyone else done something similar, and if so how did you end up analyzing the answers? Were you able to pull the actual answers into the ranked questions when viewing the data or did you have to do this manually? Thanks in advance for any help. 

Hi @cyounge ,

I understand the issue as it’s a dynamic data set that you would get.

As each respondent can provide different text/comment, there is no fixed data set that can be used here.

There’s an option where you can think of exporting the data and manually moving it one below the other to analyze it better.

There would be 1 column which holds all the text responses and 1 column which has the respective value for that specific response. It would be basically converting columns to rows.

I would suggest you to try it for a few responses to see if that works for you.

Dear Sowrabh, thank you for response. Could you please clarify how we export the data and manually move it one below the other? What exactly do we move where in the downloaded csv file?

Hi @StinaSaunders ,

To export the data, you can navigate to Data and Analysis tab, and then click on export. 

Lets say you have the data source in below format:

You need to convert it to below format:

Once this is done, you can then create a new survey with Q1, Q2, Q3, Brand and import the data there.

Thank you, Sowrabh. I attach a screen shot of how my data is displayed - these are all unique free text answers which the codes refer to (which are in the same row, each row is a participant). Individuals put in a varying number of free text answers and then from drop down menu choose top 5. Could you kindly advise if there is a method I can convert that code into the actual text answer?

Dear Sowrabh

I am wondering if you could advise  if there is a method I can convert that code into the actual text answer?

Thank you

Stina

Leave a Reply