How to pipe answers (that are not HighestValue or LowestValue) from a rank order question? | XM Community
Skip to main content
I am currently developing a multicriteria decision analysis survey using swing weighting. In the first block I would like respondents to rank 8 options from "most important" to "least important".

In the next block I would like respondents to give a numerical value to indicate how important each of these options is relative to each other using a slider. These options should appear in descending order of importance, as indicated by the previous question.

To do this I need to be able to pipe the "2ndHighestValue, 3rd HighestValue... 7thHighestValue" from the ranking question into the weighting (slider) question. How can I do this? So far I have only been able to pipe in the HighestValue and LowestValue.

Thankyou for any help you can provide!
Can you just pipe all the options, as you anyway ask about them all?

Oh, I misread that you want them in a particular order...
@Wheelerjack Here is a link to another answered question that might help you: https://www.qualtrics.com/community/discussion/2285/pipe-text-from-ranked-items#latest

It looks like "${q://QID28/ChoiceNumericEntryValue/1} is the rank of the first item,

${q://QID28/ChoiceNumericEntryValue/2} is the rank of the second item,

etc." might get the job done.

However, I've run into an issue with this. When I use that code, the resulting piped text is actually not text at all - it's the numerical value associated with the response.

Here is my code: !

And here is the resulting survey question: !

I need the names of the variables (such as "social equity", "portability") to show up instead of their values.

Does anyone have a way to fix this?

Thanks!
I had some help from a Java programmer who fixed this! Adding this script fixed my problem:

Hope this helps!

Qualtrics.SurveyEngine.addOnload(function()

{

/*Place your JavaScript here to run when the page loads*/

});

Qualtrics.SurveyEngine.addOnReady(function()

{

/*Place your JavaScript here to run when the page is fully displayed*/

$(document).on('DOMSubtreeModified', function(){

var l=jQuery("ul li span.label span label span span span").length;

var s=[];

for(var i=0; i<=l;i++){

s[i]=jQuery("ul li span.label span label span span span:eq("+i+")").text();

}

var p=l+1;

for(var t=1;t<=p;t++){

var h=t-1;

Qualtrics.SurveyEngine.setEmbeddedData( 'r'+t, s[h]);

}

});

});

Qualtrics.SurveyEngine.addOnUnload(function()

{

/*Place your JavaScript here to run when the page is unloaded*/

});
@Wheelerjack

Thanks for that code!

What exactly did it do for you? I added it to my survey and nothing has changed - I still see the numerical value instead of the variable name. Have you been able to fix this problem?

Leave a Reply