How to pipe selected answers from 4 separate multiple choice questions (max 2 for each one) | XM Community
Question

How to pipe selected answers from 4 separate multiple choice questions (max 2 for each one)

• 14 July 2021
  • 1 reply

Hi all! I currently have 4 multiple choice questions, each requiring up to 2 answer selections with "none of the above" being an exclusive answer selection, and I want the answer selections for all 4 questions (ranging from 0 ~ 8 in total in this case) to be piped into a final question that asks participants to select their final top 3 from.
I am struggling with the JS code for this case. Currently it only works when exactly 2 answers are selected for each of the 4 MC questions, and would pipe in blank spaces for when 1 answer is selected or when "None of the above" is selected for any one of those questions.
Here's what I did:

1. I added the following pieces of JS code to each respective multiple choice question, and checked "variable naming" under "Recode values" for all questions :

image.pngimage.png
image.pngI then created a total of 8 embedded data variables in the survey flow (L1 L2 for question 1, A1 A2 for question 2, H1 H2 for question 3, P1 P2 for question 4)
image.pngI know this isn't going to account for the scenario where participants choose only 1 answer for any of the questions, but I don't know how to revise the code and embedded data to incorporate it. Please advise. Thank you!

1 reply

Badge

Hello, if your list of options is short, you don't have to use JavaScript. Just set your "final question" to have the masterlist of options from the 4 questions then use the display logic to only show the options[in your final question] selected from the 4 questions.
image.png

Leave a Reply