How to use stimuli that were used in the loop of the previous block? | XM Community
Skip to main content

Dear all,

I'm conducting an experiment where participants compare two individuals (A and 😎 in each round and make some decisions. I have a total of 1,225 pairs of A and B, and participants will make three different decisions in three blocks (e.g., splitting money, taking money, etc.). Clearly, it is impossible for the same participant to evaluate all pairs. Therefore, in the first task, which is the first block, I used Loop & Merge, placing all A in field1 and all B in field2, randomly selecting 30 rows, and referencing them in the questions using piped text, presenting one pair at a time, as shown in the image below:

Since I need to perform three different tasks in three separate blocks, I am now facing the issue of how to reference the same 30 pairs of A and B in the subsequent blocks (blocks 2 and 3). Ideally, I would like to randomize the order in the later blocks as well. However, if that is not possible, I can accept maintaining the same order as in block 1. What is essential is that blocks 2 and 3 must repeat the use of those 30 pairs that were drawn from the total of 1,225 A-B pairs in block 1.

Does anyone know how to do this? I saw that some people suggested setting up a hidden multiple-choice question that randomly presents 30 out of the 1,225 options. Then, when setting up loops in all blocks, I can use the choices displayed in this question. However, this method doesn't work for me because I have two fields corresponding to the names of A and B, so I can't define them as multiple-choice options.

Some people also suggested using embedded data to record the options presented in the first block, but I tried the code below, and nothing happened. Additionally, I don't know how to make them loop in the subsequent blocks, specifically how to have the loop use this embedded data.

Qualtrics.SurveyEngine.addOnload(function() {
Qualtrics.SurveyEngine.setEmbeddedData("loopEvent","${lm://Field/1}");
});

I hope I have described the issue clearly, and I look forward to your responses. Thank you so much!

@jma2013 Using Embedded Data is a viable choice but not just save it as 1 data, you have to save them as an array, then in the subsequence block, you can shuffle them up and present them directly or save the order. The key question is, what do you want to do in the next block? The purpose of your study? Because presenting them correctly is one important thing but saving the info in a way that you can analyze later is more important when you mix/randomize everything

The hidden question solution is correct. Create a multiple choice question with choices 1 through 1,225 and randomly display 30. Base your loops off the displayed choices in the hidden question.  In the loop and merge setup of each block paste your 1,225 A and B names in fields 2 and 3.

If you want the pairs to show up in a random order in each block, randomize the loop order in the loop & merge setup. 

Leave a Reply