Is there a way to make a grouping question display horizontally? | XM Community
Skip to main content

I'm trying to make a question that allows survey participants to place a set of 10 images into 5 groups. Right now I'm using a pick, group and rank question, but it's causing problems for me because participants can't scroll while clicking to drag and drop an image into the boxes, and since there are 5 boxes they don't all fit on one screen. I'm looking to get around this by displaying the boxes horizontally, but Qualtrics doesn't seem to have an option for that. Is there a way of doing this using custom code? Also, I'm using a pick, group and rank question, but the ranking aspect is irrelevant. Any help is appreciated!

Hi Alana,
Someone else might have a custom code solution, but would I do in this case is create a horizontal image of the box options - a static graphic. So at the top of the question, show all 5 "bucket" options as a graphic with labels. Then for your 10 images, have them select, maybe a drop down box option, which "bucket" they'd place each image.
Does that make sense?
As a researcher, I would rather have my participants spend their time focusing on "where would each image get assigned?" than spending time dragging and dropping - even though it's a cool feature in Qualtrics.
Another option would be to find custom code so you are dragging thumbnails of the images rather than the full size, or the text descriptions instead of the images.
Hope that helps in the short term 🙂

Unless there is a special requirement, the Matrix Drag and Drop will also result in similar data being collected. You can make your scale points, as the groups you want.

Thanks for the responses! It's important for this study that the participants can see the groups of images they're creating and move pieces around if they want to, so the matrix table drag and drop option works perfectly!

Leave a Reply