Limiting the number of choices that can be selected at the time in more than one question in a survey | XM Community
Skip to main content

Hi There, First time poster here! 

I found this post really helpful in trying to limit the number of choices selected in a question at the point of clicking rather than the respondent clicks submit only to be met with lots of annoying error messages (if you simply use the validation options).

However, my survey has several questions where I want to limit the number of choices and when i pasted in the Javascript code into multiple questions, it impacts the other questions so that once you’ve selected a few choices in one question, it only lets you select one choice in other questions where you are allowed to select up to 3! 

Please could someone help me with how to fix this so that it works discretely for each question? 

Thanks so much! 

Hi @MichelleNW You can use custom validation to limit the number of choices a respondent can select in a multi choice question. Refer below image.

Thank you for this @omkarkewat, I tried this, but the problem is it lets the respondent select as many as they like, and you only get the error message after you click next or submit. 

This would be fine if there were only one or two of these types of questions in the survey, but there are quite a few, and it might just totally put off the respondent. 

Leave a Reply