Passing/retrieving responses from select2 to backend | XM Community
Solved

Passing/retrieving responses from select2 to backend

Hello,

I'm using select2 to display answer choices for a multi select question. The list of possible answers is contained in a local JavaScript array and is quite large (nearly 700 unique choices). The choices render and selected without issues. However, when a user submits the survey, the answers they selected are not saved, and the corresponding field is blank. I have several ideas, including piping the selections to a dummy question as a free text response, but I'm not sure how to implement this. Would appreciate any suggestions!

icon

Best answer by TomG 9 July 2020, 16:19

View original

4 replies

Thank you, that worked beautifully!

Userlevel 7
Badge +27

realdat needs to be an array and you need to move setEmbeddedData outside the array and convert the realdat array to comma separated string using .join().

Thanks for your answer! I was able to retrieve the responses from the array given by invoking

select2('data')
I checked the console log and the text of the responses, however many are selected, are printed in their entirety. So far, so good. I then created an embedded data variable of type Text . In order to have these responses recorded, on the next page of the survey I have a dummy text box question (this will be packaged to the end user as "confirming their answer selections prior to submission") . However, this only yields the last selection out of the multiple choices which were entered into the select2 question on the previous page. I would like for this text box to instead contain all of the text from the answer choices that were selected.
What am I missing? I have a feeling it's something fundamental.
I tried writing the output of to another dummy textbox via jQuery but I guess that JS variables aren't propagated across questions?

Thanks again for your help!

Userlevel 7
Badge +27

Yes, you've go the right idea. Copy the select2 value(s) to a hidden question input or an embedded data variable either on change or in the addOnPageSubmit function.

Leave a Reply