Reaction time from first keypress | XM Community
Skip to main content
Question

Reaction time from first keypress

• 16 August 2019
  • 1 reply

Hi there,

I am having trouble capturing the time from page onset to first key press (any key press). Participants have to fill an open text box and I would like to measure the time it takes them to first type something. Participants won't have to click in the box to type, thanks to a script for pre-selecting a text entry, they can just start typing.

The traditional timer can register the time until a first click, but not until a key press.

I have looked at every other discussion about how to implement reaction time with Javascript, but nothing seems to do the trick.

Any help will be really appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Hey @dcousineau,

I'm not sure how 'dirty' of a solution is acceptable to you, but the first thing that comes to mind is a JavaScript loop that adds 1 to an `int secondsElapsed` and then sleeps 1 second until the user hits their first key. This would only give you a whole second as the finest point of measurement, always rounding down, but I thought it might enough for you. You could then use the Qualtrics API setEmbeddedData to write that value back to the survey to view the result in the Data& Analysis tab.

A cleaner solution by far would be OnPageLoad, call a new Date() and assign to StartTime variable, then add a keydown eventListener to the pre-selected textbox and call Date.now assigned to EndTime. You can then simply subtract the 2 times, formatted to your desire. In essence, you'd be creating your own form of a stopwatch.

Leave a Reply