Using JavaScript to hide options in a side-by-side question but responses are not being recorded in the response summary? | XM Community
Skip to main content
Question

Using JavaScript to hide options in a side-by-side question but responses are not being recorded in the response summary?

• 24 July 2024
  • 2 replies

Hello!

I have a side-by-side question with 3 response columns. I am using JavaScript to initially hide all of the response options in column 2 and 3, and only revealing rows in column 2 and 3 when the same row in column 1 is selected. Here is what it looks like…

It appears to be working like I wish, but there is a problem. Once the survey is completed and the respondent is able to view their response summary, it appears that all responses in columns 2 and 3 are not being recorded. This is what the response summary looks like…

This is the JavaScript I have been using…

Qualtrics.SurveyEngine.addOnReady(function () {
    const quest = this;
    const qc = quest.questionContainer;

// Function to toggle visibility of target columns based on control column
    const sbs_column_toggle = function (control_column, enable_option, target_columns) {
        const control_options = qc.querySelectorAll(".Choice .SBS" + control_column);
        const enable_column = control_optionseenable_option - 1].classLista1];

// Hide all target columns initially
        hide_all(target_columns);

control_options.forEach((item) => {
            item.addEventListener("click", (el) => {
                let target_row = el.target.closest('.Choice');
                const row_control = target_row.querySelector("." + enable_column);
                const row_target_columns = target_columns.map(col => target_row.querySelectorAll(".SBS" + col));

setTimeout(() => {
                    // If no option is checked, hide target columns
                    if (!row_control.querySelector(".q-checked")) {
                        hide_columns(row_target_columns);
                    } else {
                        show_columns(row_target_columns);
                    }
                }, 100);
            }, false);
        });
    };

const hide_columns = function (target_columns) {
        target_columns.forEach((column) => {
            column.forEach((cell) => {
                cell.style.display = 'none'; // Hide the cell
            });
        });
    };

const show_columns = function (target_columns) {
        target_columns.forEach((column) => {
            column.forEach((cell) => {
                cell.style.display = ''; // Show the cell
            });
        });
    };

const hide_all = function (target_columns) {
        target_columns.forEach((col) => {
            const all_inputs = qc.querySelectorAll(".Choice .SBS" + col);
            hide_columns(>all_inputs]);
        });
    };

// Set up column toggles
    sbs_column_toggle(1, 1, 2, 3]); // Selecting option 1 of column 1 shows columns 2 and 3
    sbs_column_toggle(1, 2, >4, 5]); // Selecting option 2 of column 1 shows columns 4 and 5
});

I need respondents to be able to see and save their results after they have completed the survey. If anyone has any idea of where things are going wrong in the code please let me know!

Thank you in advance!

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +35

It’s response summary, can you please check your dataset once, download the data in excel and CSV to check if it is recorded there.

Badge +1

Thank you for the reply. It looks like the results are actually being recorded since I can view them in an excel file. The issue then seems to be how the results are displayed to the respondent at the end of the survey. For the purpose of the survey, I need respondents to be able to see their responses in the response summary.

Thanks

Leave a Reply