Add a new column in Imported data Project | XM Community
Skip to main content
Question

Add a new column in Imported data Project

• 17 June 2024
  • 8 replies

Hi everyone ,

I had a situation , where I had already uploaded imported data project and I had already built a dashboard out of it . But now I need to add a new column with values against the existing data . I don’t find any option to do this. Can anyone let me know. Thanks.

8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +36

@Sura Sadly, this is a limitation with imported data projects. You are unable to add additional columns. Your best bet is to reupload your data as a new imported data project. 

Once uploaded, map the imported data project to the existing dashboard. AFTER you have mapped the new imported data project, you can remove the initial imported data project from the dashboard. If you do it in this order, you shouldn’t have to rebuild the dashboard. 

Badge +1

Hi @jmborzick , Thanks for replying . But , then for Text IQ fields. i need to do it again right?

Userlevel 6
Badge +36

@Sura No, you shouldn’t have to. Text IQ is mapped to a field, not a data source. As long as you map the new data source to the same fields as the old one (which is why it’s important to delete the old source after you map the new one) Text IQ should pick up the comments just fine. The only reason you’d need to work on Text IQ again is if the additional column you’re adding has the text. 

Badge +1

Thanks @jmborzick , Just a doubt . It isn’t that we have to add the new Comment (open text ) section for Text iq functionality and update the topics right?

Userlevel 6
Badge +36

@Sura, no, assuming you map it to the same field, Qualtrics will grab the comments from the new source and analyze them according to the rules you initially established.

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

You can try creating a custom field, then export your data and add your new data to the new field you just created before re-importing.  I just tried this method and was successful. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +41

You can also add a column with the API : https://api.qualtrics.com/f1dc5b722f95b-add-columns-to-imported-data-project

Fields created via the custom field editor will appear as EDs in your Data & Analysis tab, fields created with the API will appear as regular fields.

Be sure to have an unique ID or to delete existing records when you reimport your data to avoid  duplication.

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Hi @Sura, You can give a try by Export your data in CSV, add a new column with the required values in a spreadsheet and then re-import the data.

Leave a Reply