Need to restrict variables included in exports by dashboard users. | XM Community
Solved

Need to restrict variables included in exports by dashboard users.

Userlevel 6
Badge +23
  • Level 6 ●●●●●●
  • 193 replies

Hi all,

I continually come up against an issue with users wishing to export from a dashboard as CSV, and the level of data that would expose them to with Export permission creating significant privacy risks.  This is due to Qualtrics not currently allowing us to select or limit which variables or the volume which a user can export from a dashboard (with export enabled).  Exporting widgets only isn’t feasible in most instances either. 

I would love if anyone had a work around for how they manage to enable dashboard exports without exposing users to such a high volume of data.  With significant focus on customer data & privacy globally this must be a growing need.  

Thanks in advance! 

icon

Best answer by krbhavya 3 May 2023, 07:53

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +20

You can apply filter on the dashboard while exporting the data so you can export only the desired data . Also in csv you have the option to “include filter selection” so filtered data is exported

Userlevel 6
Badge +23

@krbhavya thanks for the response.  I may not have been clear enough in my initial post - what I want to do is force specific restrictions on users - so they don’t have the option to export certain fields.  Whilst end users can narrow down what is exported as well through steps you described, by default we need some fields not able to be exported.  The risk comes from the ease to download all survey and embedded data at once, this contains sensitive fields like email address for customers.

One option we identified is duplicating our 50+ dashboards to have an export ‘safe’ version through limited data mapping .  However that isn’t very efficient and complicates the navigation of dashboards.

Ultimately we should be able to flag certain data fields as ‘sensitive’ and have those fields automatically excluded from export. However hopeful another workaround is known.

Userlevel 6
Badge +20

@ScottG Sorry as of my understanding there is no way to exclude column in dashboard export. You can do the data masking to hide sensitive info. from users. Or you can restrict the access to the users

Userlevel 6
Badge +23

@krbhavya thanks for responding - was worth a shot. 

Leave a Reply