Recoding likert-scale to a 10-point scale | XM Community
Skip to main content

Hi! I have likert-scale questions in my survey that I would like to show as 10-point scores in my dashboard. In other words, in the dashboard I would like to show the responses to a statement such as “I am satisfied with the service” as a score (for example 7,9) and then compare it to our benchmark.

Completely aree = 10

Agree: 7,5

Neutral: 5

Disagree: 2,5

Completely disagree: 0

Don't know: null

Recoding does not allow for decimals, so I cannot for example recode “Agree” as 7,5. One solution would be to make it a 100-point scale, so making “Aree” a 75 and “Completely agree” a 100, but that's a last resort.

Also, I'm wondering if it's more efficient to do the recoding in the survey environment or in the dashboard. Perhaps it's not even necessary to recode, but I could add a custom calculation?

You should be able to do this on dashboard easily.

Hi @Deepak, good to know! Could you elaborate on the how? In de Dashboard Data view or in de Custom Metrics? Is it efficient to do it in de Dashboard Data view, changing the Field Type to Number Set, then in the Recode Editor recoding the Source with 2,5 etc?

It's just that I would have to do this again for each survey. Is there any way it to automate the actions?

You can go to dashboard seetings -- data set source. Select variable, click on manage labels and assign your recorded value to the variable. 

@JohannesCE

Hi @Deepak, good to know! Could you elaborate on the how? In de Dashboard Data view or in de Custom Metrics? Is it efficient to do it in de Dashboard Data view, changing the Field Type to Number Set, then in the Recode Editor recoding the Source with 2,5 etc?

It's just that I would have to do this again for each survey. Is there any way it to automate the actions?

It would be on dashboard data view, you can visit this support page for the How?. You would not need to change field type per say but if you would like to use widgets which support just number set I believe you can change them.

There wouldn’t be a way to automate this it’s just if you are mapping different surveys in one dashboard you do get an option to apply to all sources. Which you can leverage to make it near automated.

Hope it helps!

Thanks @CxEx and @Deepak.

• I get changing the Field Type to Number Set and using the Recode Editor to change the Source to 0 / 2,5 / 5 / 7,5 / 10.
  • I also get using the Apply Recodes to all sources option
  • I also get that I can make a CSV and use the Import Recodes option to make it a bit faster

But wouldn't it be more efficient to recode in the survey itself, maybe not with decimals but with a 0-100 scale? That way it wouldn't be necessary to recode each and every question in the Dashboard Data. What am I missing here?

Thanks @CxEx and @Deepak.

• I get changing the Field Type to Number Set and using the Recode Editor to change the Source to 0 / 2,5 / 5 / 7,5 / 10.
  • I also get using the Apply Recodes to all sources option
  • I also get that I can make a CSV and use the Import Recodes option to make it a bit faster

But wouldn't it be more efficient to recode in the survey itself, maybe not with decimals but with a 0-100 scale? That way it wouldn't be necessary to recode each and every question in the Dashboard Data. What am I missing here?

I presumed two things and hence recommended dashboard

1. You have already collected responses 

2. You mandatorily want decimals in your recodes 

Hence you can do it at survey level whole values if those two assumptions are wrong.

Leave a Reply