how to de-randomize randomized items | XM Community
Solved

how to de-randomize randomized items

i have a survey which has a construct which consists of 4 items. the four items are presented as a question, with a response on likert type scaling 1-5. qualtrics records the responses and which item is presented, but how do i get the responses all in the same lines again - essentially how do i de-randomize the responses in the actual data. i can see how to do it manually - by literally moving each response around so that they are in the correct columns - but that cannot be the right way? 

icon

Best answer by TomG 10 May 2020, 14:51

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +27

Usually response data isn't randomized unless you've done some kind of unusual implementation.
Here are three ways you could implement randomization and have the response data in a consistent order:

1. A Matrix with 4 choices (rows) and 5 scales points (columns). Randomize the choices.

2. A Loop & Merge block with 4 loops (one for each item). Pipe the items into a MC question with 5 choices and randomize the loop.

3. A block with one MC question with 5 choices for each item. Randomize the questions in the block.

Badge

I have the same question and the answer was not helpful as it appears to talk about randomization and not de-randomization. In Qualtrics you can export the order in which an item was presented to a respondent but you cannot export the data in the same order that it was presented to the respondent. Some type of custom code will be required (and I don't have it)...

Leave a Reply